Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd or 3rd Year Science Students

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

In your opinion, what was the easiest second semester module(Geography, Geology or Foundation Physics) for someone who hasn't previously studied the offered modules.
    I am only interested in Biology and Chemistry so this extra module is only a means to an end.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

rdunne3 wrote: »
    In your opinion, what was the easiest second semester module(Geography, Geology or Foundation Physics) for someone who hasn't previously studied the offered modules.
    I am only interested in Biology and Chemistry so this extra module is only a means to an end.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Of the 3 above I did Foundation Physics. Was a means to an for me too but thought it may have helped with a bit of the physics in the chem course. It didn't....

I never did physics before, hated it and struggled. Had to repeat the exam (moreso from lack of effort though as I just couldn't stand the stuff). From what I heard, Geology wasn't as hard but you'll need to wait for someone who did it.

As an aside, as far as I'm aware if you decide you want to do geology in second year you don't need to have done it in 1st year and you can't continue physics having only done FP anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I'm a first year only doing the module as a means to an end and only interested in Biology and Chemistry like yourself. I'd really recommend Geology myself

At the moment I'm doing Geology and it seems to be pretty handy so far, 2 lectures and a tutorial a week. There's a degree of continuous assessment involved ;10% from MCQ's and 30% from tutorials and an essay so you've only 60% to fret over in the exam. It also has a field trip if you like that like of thing. The lecturer is also striving to make the course as interesting as possible too, 50% physical geography and mineralogy (from a chemistry point of view) and 50% evolution and palaeontology.

You do have to make your own notes though with seems to be scaring people

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

prob geology!! pretty much everyone passed and it's interesting! you might actually really like it and it is a degree option! best of luck with your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is a bit late, but Geology had the best feedback from my friends in first year. I did none of the modules you mention myself, but I know plenty who did.

Apologies if the reply is too late to be of any use!

Advertisement