Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attempted car theft issues

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem i've just discovered - Had some electrical problems in my car with the windows and speakers so I dropped it off to a mechanic pal of mine to see if there was a fuse blown. He just called me to say that all the fuses were ok, but he discovered something worrying - apparently someone had tried to steal the car and cut 25 of the wires between the drivers door and the wing using a hacksaw ! and he is in the process of fixing them and said it's a big enough job..Strangely enough nothing was ever missing from my car and I didnt notice any signs that someone had been at it/in it !...

I'm trying hard to understand why they would have cut all the wires, if they wanted to steal it I would have thought they could have just broken the window, opened the door and hotwired it...:confused:...and also why go to all that trouble of hacking those wires and not take it at all :confused:

I have no clue about cars or wires and would be grateful if anyone could shed an opinion on this..and if anyone has ever heard of this before

Thanks a lot for all replies on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Its a strange way to rob a car alrite. I think what the thief wanted
    was to pop the lock by cutting thru the wires(earth on the central locking
    pops once cut) with just a long hacksaw blade, curved thru the door gap.
    What type of car do you drive, has it an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Muckie wrote: »
    Its a strange way to rob a car alrite. I think what the thief wanted
    was to pop the lock by cutting thru the wires(earth on the central locking
    pops once cut) with just a long hacksaw blade, curved thru the door gap.
    What type of car do you drive, has it an alarm.

Thanks Muckie ;)

I have a 2002 santa fe and there is an alarm on it...I really didnt notice anything until I couldnt work the windows or the central locking on it...also the right speaker wasnt working ..but other than that it was the same as always.it's a strange one and I just cant understand the reasoning behind them going to all that trouble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They still cant drive it away, I suppose for thieving items on open display its quieter than breaking a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Its hard to keep up with the thieving sods. Lets hope they
    leave your car alone. Leave nothing "shiny" around and maybe a good
    steering lock or heavy chain around the steering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Not unusual from reading previous threads on here. I think the locks can be shorted open if the wires are hacked like that. IIRC Liffey Valley car park is a hot spot for it.

You can buy kit to prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

E39MSport wrote: »
    You can buy kit to prevent it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-_JiYMNlA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Thanks a lot guys ;)

I'll take a look at that kit tonight and was planning on a lock and chain too...

Advertisement