Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmainham?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

We are looking at moving to Kilmainham as the other half needs to be near to the N4 and I need to be close to town for work. We went for a look round at the area at the weekend, and couldn't see a supermarket, many restaurants etc... Just wondering if anyone knows much about the area and can shed some light as to where everything is before we decide on a move??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

I wouldn't really class it as an area more like a location with the inner city or Inshicore depending on how you look at it. If you are talking about the apartments by the entrance to the hospital then there really isn't anything very close by foot. Due to it's closeness to town I wouldn't really see the need for many local things. There are one or two place in the area but the city centre is nearly as close from where I think you are talking about.

The closest restaurants and bars would be the train station but across the bridge there are some too. I would say supermarkets in town are your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Depends whereabout in Kilmainham you are looking at, but, there are restuarants and the like in Inchicore. A lovely little Italian place called Enoteca Torino actually down beside The Black Lion.

There's a Tesco Express and Asian Supermarkets and a large Londis (I think). Ballyfermot is just up the road and has Tesco, Lidl and Iceland.

There are a few of pubs (The Patriots, Royal Oak, etc) in Kilmainham and loads more in Inchicore. The Hilton Hotel also has a nice bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

there is also two very large spars, one in inhicore and one in kilmainham, insomnia coffee place, loads of takeaways and a stones throw from town. lidl and aldi up the road. what part of kilmainham? as said before if down near james hospital, that is the end of kilmainham, most of what you need is up the other end near inhicore and the hilton.

Ah yeah.. it's one of those Eurospars not a Londis. Both of them have a fairly good selection. You'd probably still need to do a decent weekly shop somewhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ferret81

Thanks guys.. that is useful info.. we did spot the Royal Oak on our travels at the weekend. We are looking at the apts in the Old Chocolate Factory so right beside the Hilton...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Ferret81 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.. that is useful info.. we did spot the Royal Oak on our travels at the weekend. We are looking at the apts in the Old Chocolate Factory so right beside the Hilton...

good location...you either walking in the wrong direction or didnt walk for long enough as there are lots of shops between kilmainham and inhicore :)

if you walked in the direction of the royal oak... you went the wrong way, thats going out of kilmainham.

and if we walked in the wrong direction that would explain why we didn't find anything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Ferret81 wrote: »

I worked around there for about a year. The shop in Inschicore was one of the worst PJ wearing places I have ever been. The apartments close to the Hilton that were there at the time were being broken into quite a lot. There were a few junkies about quite often. It would not be the safest place to walk around at night IMHO.

Traffic around there during rush hour is really bad too. I would look else where but the parks close by do make up for some of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I worked in the area for a few months when I first moved to Dublin and choose to live in Kimmage area, short commute, rent not too expensive and closer to more amenieties.

Kilmainham is perfectly safe, especially around that area. Sure there's a big massive Garda station right across from the Royal Oak.

Traffic does build up pretty heavy around the Emmet Road junction during rush hour though, but if you come down by the quays and Heuston, it's not bad at all. I've to get the 79/a bus that passes by there every day.

• Advertisement

It didn't seem to bad when we were walking around on Sat evening..

If anything, it's a fairly quiet area. Especially considering it's just outside the city and near Mount Brown.

Many a time I've walked home from town down Thomas Street and down Bow Lane and not a bother.

I've always thought it was a great place myself, and like someone said, it's great to have the Memorial Gardens, The Liffey and Phoenix Park all within walking distance

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Rialto Village has a bit - Ennis Butchers (best in Town IMHO), Centra, small grocery, 2 Chemists, THe Bird Flanagan pub, McCauleys Pub etc, Credit Union, Post Office and a few other bits and pieces.

Might have a bit more of what you would need if you were looking for a few bits and pieces.

Its really only a short walk from any part of Kilmainham.

Advertisement