Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting a 40"/42" flat screen to wall

Options
  • 19-01-2010 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Hi,

I'd like to buy either a 40" or 42" flat screen TV but would like to make sure I'm prepared in terms of how I'm going to mount it. My neighbour has a really good system that is wall mounted on our adjoining wall but doesn't remember where he got it (he has it four or five years). His system is very adjustable with an articulated arm that allows to tilt and change the angle but its also very strong (he was able to hang out of it himself when he put it up).

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a mount like this?

Thanks,
    D.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I got the mount for my TV in the shop where I bought it (expert) and I have since bought a TV in DID and they also did the stands to suit the TV. My only recommendation is that even when you get the bracket sometimes the fittings cannot be good enough. I found that the wall I was hanging it on (40inch) was not of the best quality due to the age so I put some 80mm rawl bolts in it. I am about 220lbs and could do chin up's on it afterwards, solid as a rock. I used the bolts that came with the bracket from another TV mount and I was able to yank it loose. Now its more of an issue with the condition of the walls in my house as opposed to the bracket but its something to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

TomTom wrote: »
    I got the mount for my TV in the shop where I bought it (expert) and I have since bought a TV in DID and they also did the stands to suit the TV. My only recommendation is that even when you get the bracket sometimes the fittings cannot be good enough. I found that the wall I was hanging it on (40inch) was not of the best quality due to the age so I put some 80mm rawl bolts in it. I am about 220lbs and could do chin up's on it afterwards, solid as a rock. I used the bolts that came with the bracket from another TV mount and I was able to yank it loose. Now its more of an issue with the condition of the walls in my house as opposed to the bracket but its something to be aware of.

What make/brand was your bracket? My neighbour also used his own rawl bolts with his bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

you can pick up one of these is peats parnell st - approx 200 or less

http://avslgroup.com/product/129.329UK

they may have to order it 4 u

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

hey, I need to hang my TV on my wall also and was thinking of getting this bracket:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Plasma-LCD-TV-Swivel-Wall-Bracket-for-37-42-Sony-LG_W0QQitemZ150404845601QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_LivingRoom_TV_Furniture?hash=item2304d3d021

Will this be sufficient for a 42" flat screen? Also, do I only have to attach it to the wall and then hang my TV on it or how does it work? Maybe I should get someone to do it for me?? Walls are plasterboard also and it is a steel frame structure, any advise on how secure it will be, I obviously do not want my TV to come crashing down overnight....

Any advise greatly appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Seems a bit cheap and you do get what you pay for.

i have a vogels holding up an ancient Panasonic 42" Plasma that weighs a ton.
    i used Angel comms to mount it and i know they used loads of bolts to fix it to the plasterboard and stud. The fixed Bracket (not swivel) was €100 and i think €75 to get it on the wall with all wiring secreted behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

tweeky wrote: »
    Seems a bit cheap and you do get what you pay for.

i have a vogels holding up an ancient Panasonic 42" Plasma that weighs a ton.
    i used Angel comms to mount it and i know they used loads of bolts to fix it to the plasterboard and stud. The fixed Bracket (not swivel) was €100 and i think €75 to get it on the wall with all wiring secreted behind.

I finally settled for this http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=22796&sid=10&cid=5550&scid=5551. I got a discount on it as the box was all broken up. Its extremely sturdy and can hold approximately 100kg (we tried it :D). It might be overkill but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Its very hand to be able to swivel it out to access the back of the unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

d8player wrote: »
    Its very hand to be able to swivel it out to access the back of the unit.

Word! Everytime I want to change a cable or check something two of us have to move a rack, a sub and then rest the TV on a centre while I get in behind it. Next time... when I buy my 50" LCD :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

I was thinking of getting a lcd wall bracket, did anyone get the one in Lidl?
    link

Advertisement