Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

browising and Pings

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me why I can't browse the internet, but can ping servers?

for the last couple of days my connection has been going down (wireless access Not 3g) pages not loading ,
    getting time outs etc.. I can ping the server like 216.239.59.103 (google.com) but when I ping www.google.com nothing !
    Pinging 216.239.59.103 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=55
    Reply from 216.239.59.103: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=55
    C:\Documents and Settings\JOhn>ping www.google.com
    Ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name
    gain.

Then again i have got on this morning :)
    any idea what would cause it ? no access to pages but can ping servers .

Thanks
    JOhn

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

John mac wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me why I can't browse the internet, but can ping servers?

for the last couple of days my connection has been going down (wireless access Not 3g) pages not loading ,
    getting time outs etc.. I can ping the server like 216.239.59.103 (google.com) but when I ping www.google.com nothing !

Then again i have got on this morning :)
    any idea what would cause it ? no access to pages but can ping servers .

Thanks
    JOhn

That means your DNS resolving is broken. Show the results of an nslookup to www.google.com instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

C:\Documents and Settings\JOhn>nslookup www.google.com
    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.100: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.1.100

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: www.l.google.com
    Addresses: 216.239.59.103, 216.239.59.104, 216.239.59.147, 216.239.59.99
    Aliases: www.google.com

does this help ?

although its working fine this morning so may not show anything.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Spear is right, its a very annoying problem. Can you tell us what broadband you have, landline or mobile and do you connect wirelessly or hardwired. Knowing this I can tell you what DNS details to put where..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Try using opendns servers,

Its Wireless,to a receiver on the chimney down to the pc. westnet

@b0bsquish that's a bit over my head. you may have to spell it out :) sorry.

from just reading the Bible of everything (Wikipedia) can I assume the problem lies with my isp and not me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

John mac wrote: »
    Its Wireless,to a receiver on the chimney down to the pc. westnet

@b0bsquish that's a bit over my head. you may have to spell it out :) sorry.

from just reading the Bible of everything (Wikipedia) can I assume the problem lies with my isp and not me?

Is 192.168.1.100 a router? You can either change the DNS servers there, or change them on the TCP/IP properties on your local machine as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Not always John. Chances are its on your end. Tell me, do you use your computer outside the house? See What I had to do was insert the DNS details into my network card. bOb is right though Open DNS might do it, that way if your out and about you'll be able to get onto free wifi etc...

i have no access to it as its on the isp side,(192.168.1.100)
    I think it may be the receiver/transmitter on the roof,

My machine is a pc. definitely not portable :)

Just to throw a bit more into the mix,
    this morning i bypassed the voip router and connected straight into the pc and its working,
    tried it yesterday but it didnt work.

have a couple of laptops but they are not used outside the house, connected via wireless to second router,

TCP/IP setting are set to automatic.

well got it all sorted, the guy from westnet changed out the receiver/transmitter and all working fine now.

Advertisement