Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC to TV via DVI-HDMI

Options
  • 19-01-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    I'm soon to be investing in a HDTV. I want to connect my PC to it for games etc, but my PC has only a DVI port; no HDMI. If I get a DVI-HDMI cable and connect PC to TV that way will I get sound and picture, or will I get picture only and need an optical cable for sound?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xbmc

DVI = No sound, no matter what you connect it to after.

you can connect your normal speaker out to the audio in on the TV .. u dont need optical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Something like this would probably work. There are probably two inputs beside one of your HDMI inputs on the back of your TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

BUY A TV WITH vga in ,or dvi in, or buy a dvi to hdmi connector 6euro.
    IF YOU use vga or dvi,then you can use hdmi input for a 360/ps3 or blueray player .
    I PREFER vga or dvi for pc use on a hdtv.
    Most tvs have vga as well as hdmi.DVI is technically the same as hdmi except its video out, no audio
    ,and it uses a different connector.IE it uses the same digital video standard.
    SET refresh ratr to 60mhz max for use on the hdtv, unless the manual states a different refresh rate.IF tv has vga ,use a vga cable if the pc has vga output.
    TO the moderator ,it would be good to have a sticky on this forum,
    How to connect my laptop /pc to a hdtv ,giving resolutions,cables ,do i use vga,or dvi or hdmi etc
    as every week this question comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

xbmc wrote: »
    DVI = No sound, no matter what you connect it to after.

Not true, Ati cards in later series come with their own DVI-HDMI adapter which allows sound out through the DVI port on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jackmeehan

Thank you all for your help. I know I don't need an optical cable for audio - but I might as well considering the quality.

I will be connecting my PC to the TV through an amplifier, after all. As the amp has no DVI input, the setup I'm going to use is:
    DVI-HDMI Cable from PC to amp for video.
    Optical Cable from PC to amp for audio.
    HDMI Cable from amp to TV.

Should that work alright, do you's think?

• Advertisement

What model is the AMP?

What model is the AMP?
    I'm stuck between Sony HT-SS360, and Sony HT-SS100

jackmeehan wrote: »
    I'm stuck between Sony HT-SS360, and Sony HT-SS100

Not my cup of tea for Av amps, but should work fine.

Not my cup of tea for Av amps, but should work fine.
    I'm getting it mainly for the home cinema system, it is a good system in general.

What would be your choice of amp?

What's your budget?

• Advertisement

What's your budget?
    No I'm sticking with the sony, I was just wondering what you would go for :)

I got a onyko 605 about three years ago, still going strong. Much better build quality and features then any Sony amp I have seen, five year guarantee as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

Would it not be easier to use a dvi or vga to connect pc to tv,directly ,it would be very hard to find a tv now hd,that has no vga or dvi in.SEE the tv manual re ,pc input, supported resolution.Or use 720/1080 or 1024x768res .

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

if u have nvidia GC u will get picture but no sound, if u have ati, u will get and sound and picture on tv...
    why??
    because ati have audio chip on their cards...

Advertisement