Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spinning Reel Advice

Options
  • 18-01-2010 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for a new spinning reel for the new season. I have a leeda 2xl 9ft rod. Will be using the reel in rivers and lakes only, fishing for trout.

Any standout models that ye could recommend? Also would i be right in using 4lb line for this type of fishing?

Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Dunno what class of rod that is but 4lb line seems very light.
    If your spinning your going to be hitting snags rocks even the odd fish:pac: hopefully.
    4lb line means its light and you will get a good long cast but id bump it up to say 6or 7lb breaking strain or else spinners will be strewn on the lake bed.
    use a swivelled lead like a long thin one if you cant get a decent enough cast but with a good rod and a spinner weighing more than 4grams you should be able to get plenty of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It says its a 'BAITSPIN' if that helps at all. It's the reel I'm more concerned with as the one i have now gives me no distance. I'd prefer one that would toss the spinner a good way into the water.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Well if you are learning to cast, there is no doubt that a lighter line will cast a greater distance. But if that is the case you will also be inaccurate in some casts, and the light line won't pull out of snags all that well before breaking off. Also fine line is much harder to deal with when you get in kinked, and a tangle happens.
    So I would suggest 6lbs for mainline if you're getting started.

Having said that I use 3lbs, and cast a mile, and the fish can't see it so it gets more takes. So 3-4lbs bs line is defininely suitable if you can handle it with no problems.

if you want to use expensive spinners or plugs a lot of the time, that would be a good argument to choose the stronger line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

for trout ide go for 6lbs maxima ultragreen or something like that, if you are fishing any lakes where there are pike you might need a fine wire trace, or your baits will get bitten off, but even a fine wire trace can spook trout......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Sorry to hi-jack this but I'm looking to invest in a spinning rod myself for use on the local river. My previous one (got it as a hand me down from someone else) broke on the last day of the trout season last year. It was a telescopic yoke that I doubt cost a whole pile.

I will be using the rod mainly on a decent sized river, roughly 25/30 ft across in the widest sections, but plenty of small tight sections as well so what something pretty versatile, don't really want to spend anymore than 50 or 60 on one. I found the telescopic one handy for transporting around, but are these considered to be an inferior rod to the 3 part ones?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Was really looking for advice on the reel to get mainly, the line was just an afterthought. Any help avaialble there?

Advertisement