Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting question...kinda

Options
  • 18-01-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

ok not sure if this is the right area but here goes

i use hostgator and i have a number of domains on the account. i am using their email system to send email directly to thunderbird on my laptop all good so far it works fine

accept that im getting lots of spam, all that online pharmacy and grow your dick crap. any way to turn on a filter anywhere that will get rid of this stuff as good as gmail does?

Comments

There is client side and server side junk protection. On the server side, it depends on the hosting package - have you looked in the email settings to see if there is an anti-spam feature? Often these are tweakable, and you may have to play with them to get to a point where it is filtering out the junk, but not binning genuine emails.

Client side, most email clients will allow you to blacklist email addresses and domains, and route emails with certain keywords into a junk or deleted items folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I believe they use cPanel (control panel software), in which case you should log into cPanel and look for 'Spam Assassin'. If they offer Spam Assassin, this will prevent spam on the server side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    I believe they use cPanel (control panel software), in which case you should log into cPanel and look for 'Spam Assassin'. If they offer Spam Assassin, this will prevent spam on the server side.

ye thanks i did that earlier

not sure what score to give spam assassin before it takes action iv left it on 5 do i need to do anything else? or will it jsut automatically get to work now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

You just need to fine tune the score depending upon how well it's filtering spam. Different scores work for different people. 5 is recommended but I actually use 3 and 4 on most domains.

Advertisement