Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staph prevention

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I see from browsing that a few of the Irish MMA clubs post on here.

Was just wondering what measures they put in place to prevent Staph infection in their Gyms?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

No Smellies allowed is a good policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

That's not neccessarily the case Chris, urine can kill a great many types of bacteria, so the smelly-wee boy could be the best guy to roll with.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Roper wrote: »
    That's not neccessarily the case Chris, urine can kill a great many types of bacteria, so the smelly-wee boy could be the best guy to roll with.
    I get tapped enough.Id rather it wasnt accompanied by a golden shower :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Staph is everywhere and is next to impossible to get rid of, what i'd reccomened is that you disinfect mats regularly, dont allow out door shoes on the mats and advise people to be as hygenic as possible.

Most importantly either dont get on the mats with cuts or else make sure they are covered up while rolling as its bacteria getting into open wounds that gives people infections such as staph.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Agree with cowzer there. Staph is inevitable in any sweaty environment with lots of people. I caught it at a seminar where i wudda rolled with about 15 or 16 people. The best thing is early detection and a good dose of antibiotics. Mats are always cleaned regurally but it only takes one person in the class to have it. You even see in TUF when one fighter gets it the rest arent far behind. You'd think if anyopne could stop it it would be the biggest organisation in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Post the most vile Staph pic you can find.

I won't embed though for those eating....

http://www.iandawe.com/uploads/Image/blograndlemanstaph.jpg

Blargghh!!! Think this is Randelman's staph infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

RNCFAN wrote: »

WTF, is that his armpit?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I dont like this game :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Holy crap! that looks like a shark attack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

sweet mother of Zeus! Is that real. It looks like a whales vagina

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Lord Muck wrote: »
    sweet mother of Zeus! Is that real. It looks like a whales vagina

It sho is real! If you have a strong stomach look up Forrest Griffin's two vids on youtube draining his Staph in his knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

Thanks to those who replied :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

We disinfect the mats regularly and insist on good hygiene from our members.

Apparently up to 30% of the population carry mrsa/staph in their noses and various nooks and cranies. The littles nasties multiply every 30 minutes :eek: and symptoms can take up to 10 days to appear.

Apparently only washing your gear at 60oC will kill mrsa... most of us using gis, shorts and rashguards wash at 30 or 40oC.

Important stuff that people forget:
    No bare feet in the loos
    Always wash your hands after using the loo
    Shower asap after your class
    No uncovered cuts on the mat

We've had great success with a US product called Super Body Care, not even as much as an infected cut since we started using it. We also provide wipes for members to wipes down equipment before and after they use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

MaeveD wrote: »
    We disinfect the mats regularly and insist on good hygiene from our members.

Apparently up to 30% of the population carry mrsa/staph in their noses and various nooks and cranies. The littles nasties multiply every 30 minutes :eek: and symptoms can take up to 10 days to appear.

Apparently only washing your gear at 60oC will kill mrsa... most of us using gis, shorts and rashguards wash at 30 or 40oC.

Important stuff that people forget:
    No bare feet in the loos
    Always wash your hands after using the loo
    Shower asap after your class
    No uncovered cuts on the mat

We've had great success with a US product called Super Body Care, not even as much as an infected cut since we started using it. We also provide wipes for members to wipes down equipment before and after they use it.

That's great work - well done. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement