Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undenominated science!!!!

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey my name is Michael and i'm goiong to be applying for the undenominated science course in nui pretty soon. i was jst posting here for general info about the course and how current students are finding it. particularly the computer science aspect of the course

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Simarillion

Hi Michael,

Im finding the course great. I'm just in final year at the moment. It offers a huge variety in courses and subjects and gives a really broad view of science. The Biomedical Science course has even been tweaked to make it more like the Undenominated course which is considered to give better options to students as regards subject groupings.

There is a large drop out rate throughout 1st year and into 2nd year, this is mainly because the CAO points were and are quite low and it is often a safety net for people.

Can't give you any advice on the computer science aspect. I stuck to the medical subjects. But you should definately go ahead and apply and best of luck with the application!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

I have this down as my 1st Choice on my CAO :) IT is 2nd

Just wondering what subjects you intend on taking and if anyone else done Science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

ciano1 wrote: »
    I have this down as my 1st Choice on my CAO :) IT is 2nd

orly? o_0

I thought you were an IT man?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Undecided as of yet :p

Im sure they'll each see some time as my first choice between now and the Exams!

Anyway... Wouldn't mind getting lots of info on both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Well as I said before, fire any questions you have my way! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 superstar111

In first year undenominated science at the mo! If you've any questions, feel free to pm me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

in first science as well, doing app maths, maths (Honours), physics, and chem. any questions, just fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Redzer1991 wrote: »
    Hey my name is Michael and i'm goiong to be applying for the undenominated science course in nui pretty soon. i was jst posting here for general info about the course and how current students are finding it. particularly the computer science aspect of the course

judging by the exclamation marks you must be very excited about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

whats the maths and physics modules like for this? i got a b2 in hl physics and an a2 in ol maths, do you think i would find it difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

whats the maths and physics modules like for this? i got a b2 in hl physics and an a2 in ol maths, do you think i would find it difficult?

the physics is basically a recap of LC for first year. there's not much new happening but in some areas they go into a bit more depth than in LC. but they have a different way of teaching it so i'd recommend going to the lectures because my physics lecturer has just started on optics and i feel like i'm learning the section again because there was a lot taken for granted in LC (like why you don't use mirrors for total internal reflection, instead 2 optically different materials etc). there's some of the lecturers that make the lectures really interesting like showing youtube videos of examples of Faraday's Cage - Richard Hammond struck by lightning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6XGKZxYxA

as for the maths, there's a big difference between the LC and college. in LC there was a lot of emphasis on procedural maths eg knowing how to differentiate and take limits. in college, it's more conceptual, like the definition of a limit (which if you do, you'll hate it. i guarantee it :P). it really depends on who's lecturing you. also there's two subjects in maths - algebra and analysis (calculus for pass)
    if you want, i could send you some slides from our lectures just to give you a sample of what the course material is like. would you be doing honours maths or pass? i'm doing honours so i don't know what the pass course is like. i'll PM them to you if you want

• Advertisement
Advertisement