Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office not working

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Have you tried repairing or reinstalling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I went into the diagnostics for Microsoft Office and it said Icouldn't even open that becuase another installation was already running.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Use task manager to close all tasks and as many processes as possible.
    Check whether Office is coming up in Add/Remove Programmes in Device Manager
    If it is- remove it.

Run MSConfig- and kill as many start-up processes as prudent to do so.

Reboot

Go through an Office Install routine again- only this time- specify a custom install and choose to install all options on hard-drive (default is install on first use).

Give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 macdragon76

It might be looking for some install files from the CD.

you should try what smccarrick is saying above, but also have the CD in the drive.

or know the path of where it is installed from eg "c:\software\office2007"; change this path for where the install folder is.

It won't even let me uninstall :( I've been trying everything, I'm sorry this is so frustrating but thanks for the options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

what you can try is a system restore which is

Start -> All programs->Accessories->system tools ->system restore .click on choose a different restore point choose a date at which the laptop was operating perfectly . Wait until the computer is fully finished under no circumstances interrupt the restore .

If you are out of memory ,you need to press ctrl + alt + del together then you will get another screen select Task manager and observe what applications are running ,do a print screen and then click process tab on the same window ,do another print screen go to performance tab click and post back here and we can figure out what processes to shut down.

Cheers ,

instructions as per microsoft website http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx

Tried that as well to no avail :( also tried doing a memory diagnostic, as now it comes up "not enough memory/disk space to open Word" - it said no memory errors?

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Tried that as well to no avail :( also tried doing a memory diagnostic, as now it comes up "not enough memory/disk space to open Word" - it said no memory errors?

vinta ,can you post a screenshot of your memory screen in the task manager

If you are out of memory ,you need to press ctrl + alt + del together then you will get another screen select Task manager and observe what applications are running ,do a print screen and then click process tab on the same window ,do another print screen go to performance tab click and post back here and we can figure out what processes to shut down.

looks like thismemscreen-1.jpg

You could in fact have a virus which is opening a lot of processes and causing a system hog,

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Pretty integral for me for college :(

Everytime, the past week only, I've tried opening up Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc (The 2007 version) the following appears;

and then I press cancel it says "The installation source for this program is not available" ?? :(

Help please!

The fact that setup is kicking in on App Launch suggests that ROD (Repair On Demand) is kicking in for some reason. The folder it's then having issues with (MSOCache) is what is known at the Local Installation Source - basically a copy of the install media in a particular format which is used for ROD and IOD (Install On Demand) operations as well as allowing ARP (Add/Remove Programs) customizations without you having to go hunt down your original install media each time. Office 2007 setup places this on your machine first and actually installs from there rather than from disk/share.
    Running the setup.exe of your copy of Office Home & Student from the original media again should be able to repair that for you - of course that depends on what you have done since in terms of System Restore etc and if you did revert to an earlier restore point as to exactly when that was in relation to your install of Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

does look as if some of the installer files have been removed. Have you ran a system cleanup recently? Office does keep installer files in the MSOCache. There is also the windows\Installer folders which hide a lot of crap, but crap that breaks other crap if you remove it! :mad:

anyway, if it doesn't work, and you can't repair it, and can't remove it, you just need to force your computer to do what you want. My recommendation would be to force delete the application and reinstall.

You can use apps like Revo Uninstaller to remove the application and all associated files, folders and reg keys, then just reinstall. You can also just Delete the Office folders from Program Files, then run apps like the Win Installer Cleanup utility to remove the Office application entries, and CCleaner to cleanup any other leftover files, then just reinstall.

Let us kow if you run into any issues.

[edit]
    forgot to mention the MS LIS Tool (Local Installation Source tool)
    You might be able to disable Office looking for the LIS, and just look at the disc!

• Advertisement

BumbleB -

app-1.jpg

performance.jpg

processes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Can you uninstall if you boot in safe mode?

BumbleB -

app-1.jpg

performance.jpg

processes.jpg

Thats weird, Vinta ,you dont have a memory problem ,you have 3 gig and you only are using 1.5 g .

Like the poster above , here's another option ,boot into safe mode ,restart pc ,once bios loads up ,(black screen monochrome writing either says the words AMI American megatrends or PHOENIX) press f8 ,select safe mode , wait until safe mode screen comes up,graphics will appear wonky because only a vga driver is loaded ,click start ,my computer ,uninstall program ,navigate to microsoft office ,and uninstall ,then boot as normally and attempt to reinstall.

Good luck ,please post back with your results ,P.S please also make sure to backup any projects that you may have before attempting this .

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

The following may be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

Codpeas wrote: »
    The following may be helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218

I wouldn't recommend deleting registry entries ,dodgy territory !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

BumbleB wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend deleting registry entries ,dodgy territory !

:rolleyes: sure it is, if you start deleting whatever you see just for the craic! The software already doesn't work. It needs an attempted fix, or to be removed and reinstalled.

Advertisement