Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversation

Options
  • 18-01-2010 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Bonjour,

I'm a 27yo french native speaker, living in South Dublin for 4 months now.

I'd like to improve my english and could help you with your french, so if anyone is interested, I suggest to meet in a pub for discussions, half in french and half in english.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

hey, did anybody come back to you? I would love to meet with a Frenchie to improve my language skills, but would be very embarrassed! :o I learned French at uni, but sure we all know how wonderful Ireland is at teaching foreign languages.

I'm in the 30-35 bracket :D

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

A number of libraries in the city offer French/English exchanges including the Ilac on Wednesdays and Cabra on Tuesdays (6 to 8pm). Pity there isn't one for Francais on it's own (sans anglais).

I went to the Ilac Center a few times, but to be honest it didn't really suit me. If you go every week, you keep meeting new people and having to go over the same ole same ole...I'm learning French because, I work in x,y,z... I'm married with 100 children...blah, blah, blah.

I would prefer to find someone to meet with on a weekly/bi-weekly basis, so we could move onto new topics :)

But it is sociable in the Ilac and they usually head for a pint afterwards. Which probably suits most people quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i'd love and need something like that
    maybe adevertise on gumtree maybe?
    only 17 though so maybe the conversational topics we'd be both interested in wouldn't suit eachother due to age difference and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 O.

I'm a native french living in Dublin and would be interested to have regular discussion english/french.
    My english is good but can always improve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'd be interested in improving my spoken French. I study French in college as well, so that's an incentive. Trinity organise a Pub Francophile on wednesdays at 8 so I should really start to make the effort to go. I'd say anyone could go really if you're in the area.

i'd love and need something like that
    maybe adevertise on gumtree maybe?
    only 17 though so maybe the conversational topics we'd be both interested in wouldn't suit eachother due to age difference and all that

At the risk of sounding ancient now...my niece is doing her leaving cert this year and she is either 16 or 17 and learning French :) She's a bit shy though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ginkgo

I'd also be interested in a French/English language exchange to improve my spoken French. Dublin northside or north county suits me best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gobby75

Hi

I'm keen to brush up on my french again - learnt it through to business college but that was over 10 years ago so haven't spoken it in a while - and heading to Provence for a week in June so want to be able to speak with fluency.

Did anyone meet up yet? If not, anyone fancy hooking up in a local south Dublin pub to converse and see where it takes us?

Also in 30-35 age bracket!

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Naelic

Hi everyone!

I'm a 20 year old French native speaker, and I'm studying in Dublin at the moment.
    djcervi wrote: »
    I'd be interested in improving my spoken French. I study French in college as well, so that's an incentive. Trinity organise a Pub Francophile on wednesdays at 8 so I should really start to make the effort to go. I'd say anyone could go really if you're in the area.

djcervi, can you tell me where this Pub Francophile takes place? It's every Wednesday at 8?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Trinity College's Pub Francophile is on in the Duke pub- it's just off Dawson Street. You walk down towards Trinity college and it's a pub on a laneway which heads towards Grafton Street. It's every Wednesday at 8, but since exams are coming up I'm guessing that there will be only a few nights left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Naelic

Merci beaucoup djcervi! I'll try to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 FLW

Malherbe wrote: »
    Bonjour,

I'm a 27yo french native speaker, living in South Dublin for 4 months now.

I'd like to improve my english and could help you with your french, so if anyone is interested, I suggest to meet in a pub for discussions, half in french and half in english.

Hi

I am 24 and I have lived in Belgium(Walloon) for half of that. My french is fairly good but I would like it to be business fluent.

If you would like to.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johnrichard

djcervi wrote: »
    Trinity College's Pub Francophile is on in the Duke pub- it's just off Dawson Street. You walk down towards Trinity college and it's a pub on a laneway which heads towards Grafton Street. It's every Wednesday at 8, but since exams are coming up I'm guessing that there will be only a few nights left.

Well, that makes a clear way to the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anne laure

Hi everyone,

I'm French and I'm in Dublin for this summer (until the 22nd of August). I'm interested in French / English exchange because I'm here to improve my English and I would be happy to help someone with his French. But I don't know where I could find someone to exchange with. I saw that there is the Trinity College's Pub Francophile but I think I would feel more comfortable with only one person, at least for the moment. Any idea where I can find someone ?

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Ginkgo

Hi Anne Laure

Are you looking to meet someone in a particular area of Dublin?

You might find someone here.
    http://dublin.gumtree.ie/f-french-Community-skills-language-swap-W0QQCatIdZ8035QQKeywordZfrenchQQisSearchFormZtrue

Advertisement