Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4WD SWB Pajero or Landcruiser

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

Just wondering do people think the cruiser is a better jeep than the Pajero? Thinking of purchasing one but wouldnt have too much work for it. Was thinking the Pajero comes in a 2.5 liter so might be more economical to run? There seems to be good value in them at the moment. Seen a 2003 one for 5k recently .

Are they very expensive to run when not pulling a trailer, as in how many miles to gallon would one get for normal driving. Cant justify spending too much money on one and the pajero seems to be much better value than the cruiser.

Any advise welcom.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I have a 2-door kingcab Navara for similar type of use - low mileage, little use. I find pick-up has loads of advantages - can throw stuff in the back, load with firewood, fencing equipment etc. and theres great all-round visability. I use it like a giant wheel-barrow...

I considered LC, Pajero etc. at the time. Toyota 4x4s have a great reputaion but not worth the massive money they make. In most cases you'd be better off with a slightly newer/fresher Mitsubishi IMO but maybe someone out there has experience of both. Also, I'm not too keen on SWB, I prefer the wheelbase to be a little longer for stability especially if towing.

Fuel consumption is high in comparison with a car but if it's only for occasional use I wouldn't worry too much. The LC/Pajero will be much-of-a-muchness anyway...

There are other options such as Nissan X-Trail, Suzuki Grand Vitara (probably not powerful enough). An older Trooper would be a great buy if you avoid the troublesome engines from the early noughties.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Driven a SWB Landcrusier for 9 years before that i drove a SWB Pajero and also a LWB one too , both are very good 4x4's.
    I would class the landcrusier a better one though it is more powerful does good mileage and also the four wheel drive in it you never get stuck with the right tires on it.

Towing wise i used to tow horses allot and never had any problems even when people had get pulled out of muddy fields the crusier was able to drive out were as the Pajero wouldn't ( LWB pajero ) , Snow we had there recently i have no problems getting in and out of it and we had 2 foot on the roads in my area.

SO tbh landcruiser is a bit more expensive but tbh you will not have problem with it compared to the Pajero we had two of them and both had more problem then the cruiser has ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Have a '94 SWB Pajero 2.8 for the past 6 years or so. Great puller but a bit smoky (I s'pose they all are anyway.) Have done a lot of trailer work with it and it can pull 5-6 goodish size cattle without too much complaint but you have to take your time. I find the trailer when full does tend to push it around a bit. Looking to upgrade soonish and was thinking of going for a LC (possibly LWB) for that bit extra power and stability. I've never driven one yet so I can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a SWB 90 series for the last 7 yrs, and I can't fault it.
    It has needed very little in that time apart from general service items.
    They should do 28mpg possibly more if the right foot is kept under control.
    I have towed with both LWB and SWB versions and didn't notice any big difference in stability even with an 8x4 Ifor Williams with high sides and full of firewood.
    They have the same towing capacity but the SWB is a little more peppy and economical because it weighs 110kg less.
    There are a few known faults, heads can crack in early models, hand brakes are badly designed and can need to be adjusted, UJ's wear out(cheap to fix).
    Cam belts are easily changed, parts are now becoming very reasonable for suspension and steering etc from the UK independents.
    But if you take your time and look for a good one they will last a long time.
    Mine has 245k on it and is still purring away.
    The Pajero is a little more thirsty even with a smaller engine, 2.8 or 3.2 litres are the engines available in the Paj.
    There are a lot of them available and they are sought after for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

landcruiser are a much better jeep and seeing as the price of jeeps has fallen through the floor , now is an excellent time to grab yourself a bargain , landcruiser all the way

ps , navara are a very good pick up if you choose to go that route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 leem6

Just after coming across this thread, I recently sold my '02 Pajero 2.5 swb, im in the market for a 04/05 Pjero swb 3.2 litre as ive heard they're not quite as thirsty, and could do with the extra power. Had the 2.5 for 3 years, and a mk2 pajero for 5 before that, never had any problems apart from a couple of new wheel bearings.
    Anyone got any suggestions where to start my hunt for a 3.2 swb? got bout 8k to spend, and would like to get a 04/05

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fiatagri8090

Would definately reccommend a landcruiser over a pajero. Have a cruiser swb which i bought new in 08. Do a good bit of roadwork and my own trailer work. The 6 speed box is very good in my opinion. Will tow a 12x6 cattle trailer fully loaded at its ease. Had the older model before that and also found it very good. Will definately be going for a landcruiser next time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

recommend land cruiser

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

What about The Mazda Crewcab?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

leem6 wrote: »
    Just after coming across this thread, I recently sold my '02 Pajero 2.5 swb, im in the market for a 04/05 Pjero swb 3.2 litre as ive heard they're not quite as thirsty, and could do with the extra power. Had the 2.5 for 3 years, and a mk2 pajero for 5 before that, never had any problems apart from a couple of new wheel bearings.
    Anyone got any suggestions where to start my hunt for a 3.2 swb? got bout 8k to spend, and would like to get a 04/05

you should have no problem whatsoever finding a 04/05 pajero for that kind of money , jeeps have fallen through the floor in terms of price , every young fella who finished ( left ) school to work on the buildings a few years back , 1st thing they did was buy a new 4wd , now with the bust , garrage fourcourts are full of jeeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

As an aside, i was looking at the log book of the jeep ( DOE next week). Its a LWB Jeep Cherokee 2.5 TDI. I've never had a jeep before until this one and I notice on the log book the fuel says " Green Diesel"

I thought Green Diesel is agri diesel?? Is the log book incorrect??

Advertisement