Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Flash Mob?!

Options
  • 18-01-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Just read this email from a class rep:

TCD Flashmob!
    Type: Party - Night of Mayhem
    Network: Global
    Date: Wednesday, 20 January 2010
    Time: 13:15 - 13:20
    Description FLASHMOB HITS TCD!!

Simple concept really, at exactly 1.15pm this Wednesday we want as many people as possible in the ARTS BLOCK to lie down and play dead for one minute

There will be cameras at the ready so lets see can we make the news!

Invite all your friends to join and lets make this Wednesday memorable

Enjoy
    --

Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=415323030060&ref=mf

A flash mob planned 2 days in advance?! F*** that. Also, Hi Junior Dean!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I don't like the way this turned into an elaborate advertisement for a nightclub night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

If it wasn't just an ad for some grotty night-club in town I would probably give a shíte and maybe even take part. But since it is, I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Someone get a video ready, we can put it straight onto FailBlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just read this email from a class rep:

TCD Flashmob!
    Type: Party - Night of Mayhem
    Network: Global
    Date: Wednesday, 20 January 2010
    Time: 13:15 - 13:20
    Description FLASHMOB HITS TCD!!

Simple concept really, at exactly 1.15pm this Wednesday we want as many people as possible in the ARTS BLOCK to lie down and play dead for one minute

There will be cameras at the ready so lets see can we make the news!

Invite all your friends to join and lets make this Wednesday memorable

Enjoy
    --

Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=415323030060&ref=mf

A flash mob planned 2 days in advance?! F*** that. Also, Hi Junior Dean!:)
    Quoting it so that you can't edit it out later. Hope the organinsers get banned for life from Trinity for disrupting the library :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Flashmobs: just so 2k9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

We should do our own counter flashmob where we chant a slogan during the minute.

I was thinking "bring back cantab.".

Also, knowing the nature of the universe these guys proabably never intended on having any flashmob. They'll call it off saying that "the man forced them to" and basically have gotten free advertising for their club night (and be remembered as "those cool guys who wanted to do a flashmob but then the crusty old dean went and ruined all the fun").

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Has no one here noticed that you can't exactly claim it's a flash mob if it's planned 2 days in advance and just consists of people lying down at lunchtime in the Arts Block?!

I'd love to see what the powers-that-be make of the safety implications of the potential of a group of people to start lying down on walkways and thoroughfares...

The whole thing stinks of crappy publicity.
    the syco wrote:
    Quoting it so that you can't edit it out later. Hope the organinsers get banned for life from Trinity for disrupting the library
    Confused here. Edit what out? Also, why would I edit the post?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Hmm I sense a fire drill at 1pm to clear the building, you know there is one per term always!

I'm sure the facebook page will be helpful during investigations post fact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Has no one here noticed that you can't exactly claim it's a flash mob if it's planned 2 days in advance and just consists of people lying down at lunchtime in the Arts Block?!

I don't see why not..?

Mark200 wrote: »
    I don't see why not..?
    Just type in "define: flash mob" into google. I can't see a way of getting a better source as it's a neologism and I didn't expect it to be in conventional english dictionaries.

Neither of the definitions offered apply to this planned flash mob. Any flash mob I ever read about was marked by a sudden and unexpected convergence on one place by people, all doing the same thing (e.g. dancing) and then leaving just as suddenly.

A planned flash mob, well by 2 days anyway, is a contradiction in terms.

It's one of the reasons why I posted it here! I feel the idea is absurd, especially when the college authorities have been well warned in advance. A pity college wasn't so well notified about the famous sit-in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Just type in "define: flash mob" into google. I can't see a way of getting a better source as it's a neologism and I didn't expect it to be in conventional english dictionaries.

Neither of the definitions offered apply to this planned flash mob. Any flash mob I ever read about was marked by a sudden and unexpected convergence on one place by people, all doing the same thing (e.g. dancing) and then leaving just as suddenly.

It's one of the reasons why I posted it here! I feel the idea is absurd, especially when the college authorities have been well warned in advance. A pity college wasn't so well notified about the famous sit-in...

Aren't all flash mobs planned though? The whole point of it being "suddenly" is that it appears sudden or unexpected to anyone at the place who isn't expecting it.

I don't see how flash mobs could happen if they weren't planned.

How in all honesty could the college authorities not expect this?! There is no element of suprise or spontaniety if College knows as much as the people taking part do!

Although it's Wikipedia, the opening paragraph notes: "The term is generally not applied to events organized by public relations firms or as publicity stunts."

As things stand, the only people suprised will be the organisers, at everyone else's apathy. A facebook announcement hardly is part of a shock tactic:p

Flashmobs are always planned in advance, otherwise they wouldn't work. That page only has 1,500 invited. Plenty of those in the arts block will not have a clue what is going on (the whole point of a flashmob).

Now, as for my counter flashmob idea, that could be interesting. Or are ye all too boring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Them flashmob idea's are fecking class. Would love to participate in one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

This is the gayest idea I've ever heard...only a fcuking arts student could be this camp.

I plan to streak across the Arts block bollocks naked at the same time as the "Failmob" tomorrow just to steal the limelight and forever be remembered as a legend.

I know you think I'm joking but just wait and see! You heard it here first!

seanybiker wrote: »
    Them flashmob idea's are fecking class. Would love to participate in one of them.

Fcuking lol'd

vinylmesh wrote: »
    Flashmobs are always planned in advance, otherwise they wouldn't work. That page only has 1,500 invited. Plenty of those in the arts block will not have a clue what is going on (the whole point of a flashmob).

Now, as for my counter flashmob idea, that could be interesting. Or are ye all too boring?

A big difference between planning and announcing. As the rest of my unquoted posts referenced.

The sit-in the library was planned by a group of people. This event is shouted from the rooftops. My reading of it from google and Wiki (the article seems legit on this occasion, but I'm not going to tout it as fact) is that there is a significant amount of shock or suprise from bystanders AND authorities. And previous ones have some sort of element of civil/social disobedience or nonconformist stuff. E.g the events in London Tube stations, which was well documented. Lying down in your own college?! Yeah, hardcore man.

Exactly how many people will be suprised, well only tomorrow will reveal. But my point always was that college authorities are not going to be taken by suprise in the slightest. I'd laugh if a fire drill was called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Fo Real wrote: »
    This is the gayest idea I've ever heard...only a fcuking arts student could be this camp.

I plan to streak across the Arts block bollocks naked at the same time as the "Failmob" tomorrow just to steal the limelight and forever be remembered as a legend.

Yea, wave your cock at those camp gay arts students, that will show them. Maybe afterwards you'll grab your ankles and really teach them a lesion.

Have your camera ready Boston! You won't want to miss me teabagging those young BESS lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Have your camera ready Boston! You won't want to miss me teabagging those young BESS lads!

Camera with 30x zoom. It will be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

This is a pathetic publicity opportunity for a club night - everyone please ignore it. I hope security just close off that area of the arts block at exactly 1:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Confused here. Edit what out? Also, why would I edit the post?!:)
    Many people edit their posts on event day, and deny it was ever planned.

The only "gay" thing about it will be the fan mail you get from the gay people looking to f**k you, the Gardai looking to arrest you, and the college looking to expel you...
    rc28 wrote: »
    This is a pathetic publicity opportunity for a club night - everyone please ignore it. I hope security just close off that area of the arts block at exactly 1:15.
    And arrest the club reps. Actually, they could ban any and all advertisement from that club within Trinity. That would be a major backfire :D

For €20 I'll write "Free Cantab." on my ass just for the boardsies. ;)
    For €50 I'll write "Boston was here"
    Any takers?

the syco wrote:
    Many people edit their posts on event day, and deny it was ever planned.
    I wouldn't bother doing that, I want to highlight a potential big fail on some silly club promoter's part. Also I just posted an email that I was sent, verbatim in all but the name of who sent it.

Is anyone going to observe it from the sidelines tomorrow? I'm not around at lunchtime tomorrow in college. I want someone to report the names of those who took part, so I can possibly blackmail them somehow in the future. Or indeed shun them if I knew them personally:p

• Registered Users Posts: 45 geoseeker

EVENT CANCELLED:confused:

geoseeker wrote: »
    Epic fail:p

vinylmesh wrote: »
    knowing the nature of the universe these guys proabably never intended on having any flashmob. They'll call it off saying that "the man forced them to" and basically have gotten free advertising for their club night (and be remembered as "those cool guys who wanted to do a flashmob but then the crusty old dean went and ruined all the fun").

paxmanPA_40x40.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

No it wasn't?!
    Was in the arts block at the time, i'd say about a hundred people actually did it as us bystanders looked on bemusedly :p

aine-maire wrote: »
    No it wasn't?!
    Was in the arts block at the time, i'd say about a hundred people actually did it as us bystanders looked on bemusedly :p
    Interesting. Is it possible that people did it anyway, either knowingly of the cancellation or without knowing?

Or was the "event cancelled" thing above definitely a load of bull?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Meh. Who cares?

It's shameless advertising.

Advertisement