Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance ..Help

Options
  • 18-01-2010 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi, I lost my job last yr, july sometime due to health reasons and i applied for jobseekers, i recieved my payments mid november after a long waiting list, since christmas and everything im feeling the finacial strain, so i have decided to go for rent allowance after a little research.

OK my issue is im living with a guy, a friend who has been a friend since i was young, and we have rented a few properties together, i think this is our third. now everytime i do anything or change any detail with the social i get questioned if he is my partner, its almost like there trying to trick me into saying he is, like asking me mid conversation, im getting really annoyed tbh. but anyways im going for rent allowance and we moved into our third property about a month ago, its the same price as our last place but this is a house with many rooms, and we have devided them between us eg. bedroom each, he has an office down stairs and i have the sitting room, he has a music room, i have a spare room for my family to come visit. I understand why it might look like were a couple, having a few properties together and now a house.... If it was a girl it would be completely different, obviously not appectable to have guy friends these days :P

So anyways to make this long question short, I know they come to look at the place when you apply for rent allowance, Im wondering what are they going to look at, can just show them my rooms and leave it at that, i presume that they cant go in to my friends rooms, any advice would really be appreciated, im nervous and i dont know why, im not doing anything wrong....

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cb123- two girls would not be treated any differently- they would be put through the mill in exactly the same manner. There is a big crack down on fraudulent claims at the moment- as the perception is that the various schemes have been thoroughly abused over a long period of time.

I know its tough- but all you can really do is be honest to them, as pleasant as possible, and accept that getting the third degree is the price to pay for using the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭cb123

smccarrick wrote: »
    cb123- two girls would not be treated any differently- they would be put through the mill in exactly the same manner. There is a big crack down on fraudulent claims at the moment- as the perception is that the various schemes have been thoroughly abused over a long period of time.

I know its tough- but all you can really do is be honest to them, as pleasant as possible, and accept that getting the third degree is the price to pay for using the scheme.

Thanks smccarrick, i understand where theyre coming from, i know how abused the system is, but im still nervous about the house call out, but sure as you said be honest and pleasant... ill try my best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,353 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cb123 wrote: »
    If it was a girl it would be completely different, obviously not appectable to have guy friends these days :P
    A long time ago, I was *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* asked if my flatmate was my boyfriend. I laughed much.

Advertisement