Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any idea how to get rid of Fraps from Windows 7

Options
  • 18-01-2010 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Had Fraps on Windows 7. Got rid of it, uninstalled it, deleted any reference to Fraps from the registry, deleted any Fraps folders from my computer, deleted any dll files from my computer, but still have the annoying "fraps fps counter" in the top right of the screen, when watching video, and when playing games. The real annoying thing is that this counter is preventing me from doing the "shift tab" in-game Steam interface.

Can't think of anything else that I can do to get rid of it :( Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

maybe try reinstalling fraps, going to options, disable FPS counter in game, then uninstall.

lol, awkward but it should work :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Above would be a better idea, the alternative is to go to msconfig and find out what's still running of fraps on start up, deleting all its game files and searching through your registry and deleting all entry's relating to it and entry's relating to those entry's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Another option would be to install the full 30 day trial use of "Tune-up utilities 2010"
    While it has a similar section to the aforementioned "msconfig", it also has a very hand "one click fix" that (after using their previous tool equivelent to "msconfig" or indeed "msconfig" itself) is further excelent at removing broken links, faults within the registry, etc.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

ccleaner has a good uninstall tool.

It also has the msconfig thingy too "startup"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

F10 or F12( i think its f10 and im too lazy to check lol ) will remove the fraps counter from any screen( press it a few times as it cycles through the corners until its off ).

Also i dont know what you've done with Fraps but by default its not installed in windows startup, i manually run it before games, remove it using HijackThis, you might have 2 installs of it in 2 different locations and your ununstall only removed the last version installed but not the one in your startup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The remaining files are likely embeded in DirectX.

Yeah, install and disable then uninstall is probably the most likely to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

maybe try reinstalling fraps, going to options, disable FPS counter in game, then uninstall.
    The odd thing is if I do this, it produces another, larger counter over the one that is there, and when I get rid of it, the larger counter goes, but the small one is still there.
    Above would be a better idea, the alternative is to go to msconfig and find out what's still running of fraps on start up
    Forgot about that. Must also check the runonce registry folders.
    lmimmfn wrote: »
    F10 or F12( i think its f10 and im too lazy to check lol ) will remove the fraps counter from any screen( press it a few times as it cycles through the corners until its off ).
    F12 usually does it, but it does nothing now. WIll try the other F keys.
    remove it using HijackThis
    Will check that.
    you might have 2 installs of it in 2 different locations and your ununstall only removed the last version installed but not the one in your startup.
    Actually went through the entire machine and deleted any fraps folder or file that I found.

Yeah, install and disable then uninstall is probably the most likely to succeed.
    Aye, I'm thinking it's embedded in something else, but finding out what it is is not the easist :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Do the uninstall in safe mode to get all possible parts better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

What about a system restore back to just before you installed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

game4it70 wrote: »

That's a bit drastic

• Advertisement

Don't use system restore, as in my experience in fixing others computers it often collects the viruses that the people are restoring to get rid.

Biggins wrote: »
    Interesting idea.

Biggins wrote: »
    Got around to doing that today: it still doesn't all go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

That's a bit drastic
    How so?
    All it does is revert back to a certain date and only gets rid of installed programs after that date.All other files are safe.

@ the_syco
    Yes its no use for viruses but fraps is not a virus.

@ the_syco
    Yes its no use for viruses but fraps is not a virus.
    What I meant was, as the restore points often keep viruses, I don't do restore points.

Advertisement