Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dance forum demographic poll. I'm curious.

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭

I'm curious as to what the demographic is on this forum.

I'm in the wrong half of my thirties with a wife and two kids and all the associated time and money demands. When we get to go out these days it's usually just for dinner or a movie. We both work hard all week and even if we had the energy I doubt I could drag her to a decent club. Let's just say we are not a musical match. She was bopping to Take That in Boomerang while I was in Shaft or the System or RiRa, before we met.

I still love my dance tunes and have to admit to living vicariously through some of you guys. I know some are in college and some are making a bit of a living from DJing/production but I get the impression that a lot of the regulars here are 25+ with steady incomes. I hate pigeon holing people but give us a clue!

What's the deal with you? 48 votes

Student. Parents minted/Broke but living it up.
    0%
    Young, working and out a few nights a week.
    47%
    AnimakernoTyrant^jtsuitedrcazkeithkk16bluto63JelloED EJev/NSRFC90Four-PercentzonEEEFLYNN-DOGSteveDondevinejayt0mmg5fd6ow0hseimaEuskalHerriacranky bollix 23 votes
    Coupled and settled but we like to go clubbing.
    18%
    PsychedelicTáckSmythVinylJunkiepistolpetes111968Pace2008R.Shacklefordmagma69 9 votes
    Married with kids and mortgage but don't waste a night out when it happens.
    14%
    Zascartmanfifthwhiterob81seannashdrewdoContyHooks 7 votes
    Married, kids, mortgage, too tired to tap a toe on the odd occasion we do get out.
    18%
    mordeithjonny68dubsbhoyNotInventedHerefrancoisf22Is mise le keyDaroxtarold gregg 9 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Just gone 20. In college. Im not much of a clubber, I mainly just listen....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Married, kids, mortgage, too tired to tap a toe on the odd occasion we do get out.
    I'm well settled with a wife and kid and I've outlived Jesus but I can still let rip when i'm allowed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Probably one of the young ones here, 19, in college, try to make it to as many international DJs that come over, but am struggling to find decent nights beyond that. Probably going out about 3 nights a week. Pay for it by teaching guitar, DJing, and gigs with my band.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Student, 23, but also coupled - doesn't stop me going out at all though ;)

I go out as many nights of the week I can, be it 1 or 5, to chat to promoters and just generally hang out due to being off the radar for awhile during the last 12-18 months. Make a bit of money off djing at the moment but nothing regular as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Early 30's... Settled enough, both of us are pretty fanatical DnB heads, am gigging pretty regularly, am involved with a night and have a weekly radio show with a second one in the works, still head out on a pretty regular basis, generally anything with a break and a bassline will get me out of the house tbh, it really helps living in town though, pretty much everything I'd ever want to go to is available within spitting distance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

28 years young, wouldnt go out too regulary in dublin any more, not a whole lot worth goin to imo, id say im out once every 4 or 5 weeks, tend to head abroad 5 or 6 times a year for a big session, thats pretty much what keeps me sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

32, engaged, still renting - no mortage. Herself is a singer/songwriter who plays guitar/piano - is into a small bit of electronic music but isn't into clubs. Don't go out clubbing much at all these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

25, been producing electronic music properly for about 2 years. music's been my full time occupation since I was about 17 (although I did squeeze in University). Still have to do about 6 hours real work a week to live and pay rent etc.
    Only really go out when I'm playing or if there's someone I really want to see.

Thankfully I finally feel content with the gear I have, so money's not too much of a concern for me at the moment. That might change in the future but for now I don't mind not being minted.
    The missus has a steady great job so I can make as much noise during the day as I need to.

Turning 26 next week so it's probably time to get a lot more focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I got barred from going out years ago - used to go friday night and arrive home nice and early sunday morning.

Off the beers two years and don't really miss it to be honest, it took 18 years but i'm finally pussy whipped :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I'm 33 (late last year :pac: ) and married with two kids.

Rarely if ever get out these days to clubs - combination of not living near the city centre and plain old laziness! I'm actually not that interested anymore either, I'd be more at home at a seated concert than a cram-in sweaty club - I'd be in my element if Monolake or someone like that came here and played to a seated o2 audience, not likely though!

As passionate as ever about music but definitely lean more towards the lighter side these days - I purchase more ambient, ambient techno, dub, electronica, modern classical etc than the more upbeat side - with the odd exception.

I remember the term 'rave to the grave' back in the day, well I won't be... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭francois

I'm bloody ancient, 44 on the 29th :D still do the odd gig/party, though the up all weekenders have disappeared, I may have a blowout twice as year...don't go out too often to clubs, though I go to bands.
    Still buy a lot of vinyl, love collecting the stuff
    Just bough a gaff in crumlin and spent all weekend sorting out records and setting up my technics, still often play at home, something I love doing, it's a nice way to relax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

22, Graduated out of College this year with a first in Business & IT. I was extremely lucky and walked straight into a job which im still in now.

I get out as much as I can, the only thing that stops me is mates with sandy vagina's. They will read this post and know what I mean :P We usually head to Kennedys, TP, Woolshed (for the sports & platters) or go for a perve in one of the lesser clubs. :pac:

Will be heading to Dettman next week so might see some of you there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

27 and settled with my girlfriend, but very rarely go out (mostly due to having to work some weekends and being skint)
    Looking forward to going nuts at Hi Oktane next month, I still very much haven't lost my hardcore!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Married, mortgage, two little ones & hitting 34 this year........still deafen myself in the car daily with really loud hard trance mixes like Ed Case triple - XXX & Jay Carey - Ignorance but dont get to a Rave much at all these days.........at least one big one a year is needed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

I'm 27. Full time employed in a pretty serious relationship but not living together and no kids. Try to get out as much as I can but honestly cant remember the last time I was at a decent club night. Hoping to head up to Belfast to see Klock and Dettman do a 7 hour set in a few weeks though which should give me my fix.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Hoping to head up to Belfast to see Klock and Dettman do a 7 hour set in a few weeks though which should give me my fix.
    :eek:

Yeah looked it up there and also checked hotels.com for a Jurys :P

Yeah looked it up there and also checked hotels.com for a Jurys :P

There is a bus going up and back on the night. Which would be a bit of craic I would say. €35 for the bus and entrance to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Im 21, never miss a weekend out, always up for a mad one.

See you at Dettman Sean!

• Advertisement

Married, 35, mortgage, no kids, so still have the luxury of getting out when we want, get to go to the odd festival like Life or a gig here and there, she wouldn't be a huge fan of dance or electronic music but will go to the odd night if it was some good act, say coming to Cork. And when we go out, it's very much a case of pounding the boards, sweat flying, hands in the air...I can do the standing around sipping pints in the local pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    There is a bus going up and back on the night. Which would be a bit of craic I would say. €35 for the bus and entrance to the club.
    What time does it end at? I thought the north had the same licensing laws as us?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,537 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

33 on Wednesday. Not married, but very (too) settled, and havent seen the inside of a club in about 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

"I choose Married with kids and mortgage but don't waste a night out when it happens" even though im not married and have no intention of doing so either (don't tell the bird that :D) i don't have a mortgage either and have no intention of getting one for a long time, we pay so little rent why bother and you'd be mad to get a mortgage in this climate, ive a 7 month old son and he is the best thing to ever happen to me despite the sleepless nights lol,im gonna get him into football and music big style, and of course my missus who is a top bird (for putting up with me lol), anyway i still go out 4/5 times a year to
    Raves like Raindance who IMO are the greatest of them all (21 years strong)a Rave like Raindance beats the sh*t out of some club anyday it's always an amazing experience,although i might occasionaly go to a club as well if theres a DJ on i really wanna see,spoilt for choice in Leeds and Manchester but most weekends i stay indoors, im physically and mentally not able to go raving like i did years ago, i was hardcore!!!

Long gone are the 5 day benders absolutely muntered on chemicals, week after week,year after year i done it,i lived for Rave music and the Rave scene, i estimate i probably went raving every week without hardly stopping for 4 years,started in the glory days of 1990 and continued on relentelessy until 2000 until i had to take a break or i would've probably died:eek:

I still have a very keen interest in dance music today mostly House (Soulful/Funky/Deep) but i like many different styles,i just DJ at home thesedays occasionaly, i use to play the odd warehouse and big partys and the odd squat party in the 90's (had to be Acid Techno at a squat party;))it appars im not the only one on here in my late 30's which is good to see, Francois i didn't think you were 44 mate you certainly don't look it.

That's it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I'm 20 in college. Go out whenever I can. In London so there's plenty of nights to choose from!
    What time does it end at? I thought the north had the same licensing laws as us?

Even shorter club times. An hour less.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

18, 6th year. Broke, not much till after the LC. Generally end up in ****holes but what can you do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

29, In recent relationship and thankfully the other half does like to come out clubbing. Don't get out to gigs as much as I'd like to / should do - but I really enjoy it when i do and always say I want to get out even more. Involved in a club night (laundry) which will be starting back up next month so I'll be out most weekends and playing the odd week too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

27 by this time next month. oh and coupled. would be out quite a bit, every weekend one of the nights and the odd one during the week. before i came away i was goin out on heavy ones quite regularly, for a few months but havent done so in a long time. mainly because i'm in vancouver and the house and or techno seen is, imo, ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Quiggers

28 since last month, student and skint, make a few bob off djing, go out about once a month but local scene is brutal, so its just a pishup, i'm also out of practice as a heavy night needs 2 days recovery time, used to be get up, fry up back to the pub, now its get up, throw up, back to bed. Trying to kick start the local scene this year using uni and freinds to get my foot in the door. spent 8 years in manchester so i know what a good scene is like, just need to start one here in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

31 with wife, kid and mortage and I love it! Bedroom DJ and produce tracks on FL Studio. Don't go out much these days and haven't been to a club in 2 years. Still get jiggy on the floor when the opportunity arises. Most recently at a wedding when I convinced the Dj to play Prodigy 'No Good Start the Dance' :D
    Buy a lot of CDs and digging the likes of DeadMau5 and co at the moment. Also a metal head though. Last CD bought was the new Rammstein album!

Advertisement