Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History

Options
  • 18-01-2010 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Don't know if there would be a better place to talk about this but I'll put it here anyway and if it's in the wrong place someone can move it.

Basically I'm 21, soon 22 and graduated with a degree in business studies last year. Anyway like most graduates this year I find myself on the dole and realistically unlikely to get a decent job in the near future. To be honest I never really liked Business Studies, just put it down as I wasn't sure as what to do at the time and never really liked the course. I regret not having done something in the line of history as it was my best subject in school and I really liked it. I was lazy in my leaving cert to be honest and never really put the work in required yet got a B1 in honours history. It was something which I was good at even without having to put in a great deal of effort.

Now I understand if I was doing such a course I probably would need to work hard but I don't think I'd find that such a problem if I was doing something I liked and had an interest in. Basically what I'm wondering is what kind of career opportunities would you get out of it? Would it be hard to get in - not just in Trinity but other universities (I only got 290 in my leaving cert) and would my degree in business studies count towards anything?

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback from people who have an idea about the whole format of getting accepted and the career opportunities.

Also I'm on the dole. Would you think there would be any financial assistance I could get if I were to go back to college because I wouldn't be able to afford to otherwise.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Hey Kaka, I'm in second year history and love it. College history is very different to LC history though, as it's more about analysis than learning and repeating facts. In reality it would be how good at LC English you were rather than how good you were at history that would effect you're ability. However, the tutors and lectures in TCD are excellent and I have found them nothing but helpful, so if you have a good interest in the subject I see nothing stopping you. I'm not sure about points, but maybe you would have more luck entering as a mature student (anyone over 23) though you will have to pay fees, about €6000 a year I think though I couldn't be certain. As for working, I work 5 nights a week and still have plenty of time during the day to complete my essays and assignments (well I would if I got up early enough!).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

I am not sure about career opportunities for history graduates, although teaching or writing seem like obvious career paths. However if you love the subject and can afford to spend three to four years studying again, then I would highly recommend the history faculty at TCD.

I am a mature student who emerged from second level with far fewer points than yours (although they did not have points in my day). My interest in history developed later and finally the opportunity to enter third level education came along. Having researched the various history options around Dublin colleges, TCD seemed by far the best to me, in that it is a dedicated course, i.e. you don't have to take non-history modules in first year, and it lasts four years with a dissertation at the end.

Of course, employment prospects are going to be uppermost in your mind. To that I would say pursuing a career related to something you are passionate about will make you more employable and increase your job satisfaction enormously.

BTW, you can check out what financial support you might be entitled to here:
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/

Best wishes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

History's a terrific course though I agree with others that how you got on in the LC won't make much of a difference (don't think English makes a huge difference either). You do need fairly decent writing skills and analytical skills, but an awful lot of that comes from all the reading, analysing, and essay-writing you'll be doing.

In terms of getting in, wait 'til you qualify as a mature student, and then you'll be assessed on more than just LC points - things like your interest, and other qualifications you have.

Career opportunities - it's not going to train you for anything in particular or be a qualification that will have employers beating down your door trying to hire you. People do end up in teaching, as librarians or archivists or museum staff or whatever, as well as the range of professions common to many arts degrees - publishing, PR, journalism, working in the non-profit sector, etc. The kind of work you go into will depend a lot more on your interests and any other experience you have rather than your degree. It's a 'do it because you love it' rather than a 'do it for the cash!' kind of option, but well worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Ask one of my tutors today about job prospects. He thought for a second and said, "Emm lecturing? Or teaching. Something like that. I dunno."

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

hello - I think you are more (or at least every bit as) employable with a business studies degree as you would be with a history one, or even as you would be with degrees in both business studies and history.
    I would discourage you from doing a degree in history, given that you already have a degree and that you haven't any specific career goal in mind. If you were set on being a teacher or pursuing history as a life-long thing, maybe. I'd say feed and enjoy your interest in history, but look for something that'll bridge your interest and move you forward, rather than a start from scratch. Just my ha'penny's worth. Congrats on getting the business studies one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement