Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Image problems!!

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I accidentally deleted the images an photo's i had stored on my computer today. i did some googling and downloaded an app that restored them from the hard drive after they were deleted from the recycle bin. i did the same with my music.

now when the music restored itself it plays fine an no problem. all fine and dandy there.

But my pictures doesn't really work. i can see them listed in my albums and folders, their names are there, like sdc878774.jpg. there is no preview images there, no matter wot i change list setting to. and when i open them, windows fax and picture viewer wont open them.

Any one know what is after happening? because those pictures were kinda important to me sentimentally.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you're talking about recovering the files with Photorec, the issue is that you have to keep the original disk containing the deleted files unused - ie don't save recovered files to that drive. It sounds like the image files you've recovered have been partially overwritten - unfortunately if this is the case there's nothing much you can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

i understand that, but it doesnt make sense when i restored music to near enuf sameplace.so techniaclly same drive and it did nothing to them,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

well what app did you use? did you restore the music, then restore the images once the music was done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭LimerickDan

well what app did you use? did you restore the music, then restore the images once the music was done?
    ya i did it dat way. i used an app called Restoration. it restores files by copying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

there is always the possibility that you restored your music on top of where the images were..! :eek: have you tried photo rec or recuva?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

i understand that, but it doesnt make sense when i restored music to near enuf sameplace.so techniaclly same drive and it did nothing to them,

That's not how it works, though. When files are flagged as deleted on a filesystem, the data fo the file remains in the same place but the first bit of the file is changed so that the space it occupies is seen as available for writing by the OS. Creating or moving new files will then make use of this space if necessary, overwriting the original contents.

When you recover a deleted file, you're using an application to look for the starting point of these deleted files and copy the data into a new location. The reason programs like PhotoRec suggest running them from an external drive and saving recovered files to an external drive is to avoid the possibility of over-writing one deleted file with another recovered file.

There's more information on how PhotoRec works here, and you can download it here. There's no guarantee it'll be able to help you, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another problem is the way windows fragments files instead of trying to keep them in one piece. This means that part of the picture file may be overwritten. Images are usually compressed so breaking any part of it means the whole picture is often compromised.

if you still have the original medial you could try and run photo rec on the SD card from the camera ?

Did you email any of the pictures to anyone else ?

Advertisement