Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use home network on work computer

Options
  • 17-01-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭

I am a at a bit of a loss here and I am trying to figure out how to do it.

I have a dynamic home Ip address but I have set up a dyndns account and its updater so I can always have the correct Ip address.

I figured out how to set up remote access but all I wish to do is access my home net connection and not use a home pc.

Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

so you want to access your home PC from your office (ie. using remote desktop or vnc) or just access shared files somewhere on your home network?

if you're in a big office then your local IT guys are likely going to have several restrictions in place specifically to prevent people from doing that and i have no doubt that this thread would be locked and me get a warning or at the very least have a lot of people on here who work (as I do) in a sysadmin role in a similar large corporation for giving someone details on how to circumvent security on a corporate network, but you might take solace in knowing it's pretty easy to find out how to do it with a little googling. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

have you set up port forwarding on your router and given your home PC a static IP or is that what you need help with? Also as vibe said, depending on the size of your company these types of things can be barred due to viruses etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

FusionNet wrote: »
    have you set up port forwarding on your router and given your home PC a static IP or is that what you need help with? Also as vibe said, depending on the size of your company these types of things can be barred due to viruses etc...

I have set the ip address manually, and opened the port necessary on my router but whenever I test the port it refuses connection. Do I have to turn off the windows firewall? My router is a NetGear dgn2000 . Does anybody have experience with openssh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

yes firewalls will prevent access.. I cant remember is there a built in firewall on that router???

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Basicallly if you open the same port on the windows based firewall as you have done on the netgear is should let the traffic port thru to the pc. Altho the likes of Logmein free is prob the easiest to for bypassing all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I figured out how to set up remote access but all I wish to do is access my home net connection and not use a home pc.

In work on a Windows box I use PuTTY connecting over the SSH protocol to an OpenSSH server running at home under Ubuntu.

It is surprisingly easy to do once you have the SSH server installed and online.

Basically once PuTTY is connected you already have it set to forward all traffic directed at 127.0.0.1:5555(dynamic) down the tunnel to your home PC.

You then configure Firefox Portable to connect to a Socks 4 proxy 127.0.0.1:5555, and for IM Pidgin Portable will do the same.

Here is a PDF with screenshots that explains it better dc003 "Ubuntu as an SSH Proxy with Putty and Firefox".

Just a bit of an update.

I got the ssh server working under windows. I am using copssh with openssh as the server. I am able to connect up to the ssh using my 3g adapter as in it accepts my username and pass and logs me in. I can ping within the bash screen but when I try to access any web pages it will not come up. I have set the correct ports in the browser, any ideas?

Aslo, when I try to log in in work it keeps saying connection timed out. I need suggestions cause I am stumped.

I can ping within the bash screen but when I try to access any web pages it will not come up. I have set the correct ports in the browser, any ideas?

Once you have configured a dynamic tunnel on port x and you have set your browser to use 127.0.0.1:x SOCKS 4 there shouldn't be a problem.

That said I forgot to mention I had the same problem initially. As it turned out this was because Firefox wouldn't recognise the tunnel as dynamic and the solution was an easy to use addon Swtichproxy Tool which does.

After installing and restarting right click proxy bottom right of your screen.

Failing that, use PuTTY to ssh and create the tunnel instead as outlined in the PDF I linked.
    Also, when I try to log in in work it keeps saying connection timed out. I need suggestions cause I am stumped.

If you are attempting to connect to to your home WAN IP on port 22 and it is timing out this most likely because the port is blocked, either at your home or place of work. If it is the latter try a port other than 22, which of course you shall have to config the server and firewall to listen on.

LA3G wrote: »
    Once you have configured a dynamic tunnel on port x and you have set your browser to use 127.0.0.1:x SOCKS 4 there shouldn't be a problem.

I am not familiar with copssh, does it allow you to create a tunnel and have you done so? Tunnels are not created by default with ssh clients.

To clarify, when you connect by ssh to your server this will not suffice for tunneling your web traffic through, you must configure a tunnel on top of that.

You may very well have done so, I just want to make sure you did not miss this part :rolleyes:

LA3G wrote: »
    To clarify, when you connect by ssh to your server this will not suffice for tunneling your web traffic through, you must configure a tunnel on top of that.

Clarify this a little furthur. I set up openssh, and I used putty to to open a session with that. Is there something else I need to do besides set up the browser?

• Advertisement

Clarify this a little furthur. I set up openssh, and I used putty to to open a session with that. Is there something else I need to do besides set up the browser?

Well yes, the steps starting with Configure PuTTY to setup an SSH tunnel.

I had thought you would have read the guide, it's not long and there are screenshots...

"Ubuntu as an SSH Proxy with Putty and Firefox"

Advertisement