Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rearranging sockets for home entertainment setup.

Options
  • 17-01-2010 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I want to add in a number of additional sockets during a project I am doing to tidy up my home entertainment system. Plan is to add 1 single socket behind the wall mounted telly and 2 double sockets in an alcove where dvd, sky box, home theater etc will be placed. As I plan to build in a unit to hold the equipment and these sockets will not be easy to access, I'd like to have an easily accessable switch in the circuit to isolate these at night time etc.

Current I have 1 double socket at ground level. It looks like it's in the middle of a radial circuit.

What I propose to do is place a switch fused connection unit after the existing socket in the radial circuit and run a length of 2.5m T&E from it to the TV socket and from there on to the 2 new sockets, Physically this is quite easy to do as I am dealing with hollow partition walls.

As another alternative would it be acceptable to take a spur off the back of the existing socket to a 20A double pole switch and then onto TV & additional sockets?

Are either of these options technically correct or safe?

Also what are the rules regarding mounting a socket in mdf using one of those hollow wall mounting boxes. Does this break regulations?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

beacause you are planning to spur off an existing circuit in the same cable size a fuse is not neccesary its up to personal choice. the main thing to look at is the load if all of this equipment has been previously used on the circuit( using extension leads etc) you should be ok. with regard to the socket mounting some people use those backless boxes/ panel mount plates but if some one was ever to access behind the cabinet there not such a good idea. metal knock out boxes screwed in mite be a better option

Advertisement