Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future for Dallas Cowboys?

Options
  • 17-01-2010 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

Huge loss for the boys after such a goood performance against the Eagles. I think Phillips is definitely toast now, he just seems to instill zero confidence as a HC. Not only that but Romo's play-off record is great either, stick with him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I think he will be given another year.
    Next year is going to be huge as the Superbowl will be played in Dallas. Jerry is not going to settle for anything other then a ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

I can see Wade Phillips getting the boot but I would imagine give Romo the benefit of the doubt and at least one more year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I dunno about Romo, everytime he starts to really look good again everything breaks down. I think Phillips has done a mighty job there this year to get them as far as they did. I don't honestly know what the answer is but if there is no CBA I can see Jones spending huge money.

Edit: Oh thats right his hand are severely tied because they made the last eight.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Cant see Romo going anywhere anyway

id be surprised if Philips wasnt given another year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Don't know about Phillips, but can't see Romo going anywhere for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

1.A new Wide Reciever. Roy Williams has to go. He pulled one touchdown in 2008, and four this term. He was a virtual passanger after the Giants game in early December. A few good moves against the Eagles doenst mitigate his lack of finess..

2.The Romo question will need to be answered. The man has had three seasons, and has been rattled on several occasions. The likes of Brees, Favre, Rivers, Brady, Manning etc dont get rattled. Furthermore, a reliable second string QB would be great. Kitna is old, and will be released. Equally, the likes of Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger were not the type of players to replace Romo on an off day.

3.Wade Phillips may need to be given sole responsibility for the Defence, and a new head coach appointed. In spite of his lack of Superbowls, his records are quite good. 13-3 (2007), 9-7 (2008), 11-5 (2009), the first play off victory since 1996. He has equally moulded players like Miles Austin, De Marcus Ware, Keith Brooking, Felix Jones, Tshard Choice, and Doug Free. I was also impressed by his willingess to let "big namers" like Terrell Owens, Pacman Jones, Roy Williams Snr, Kevin Burnett Tank Johnson, and Greg Ellis go. Some of the "big nemers" were the biggest difficulty in the Cowboys dressing room.

But that is not enough, and if the Cowboys want to be in the top five teams, they have to look to an all rounder. Phillips would reamain a useful asset as a Defensive co-ordinator of sorts, but that my be the height of it.

The season has not been all bad. Winning a competitive NFC East, the first P/O Victory in 13 years, and the back to basics nature of the team is to be admired. Furthermore, the names Brooking, Spencer, Austin, Jenkins, Ogletree, Choice and Jones have highlighted that the Cowboys have a canvass to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Oh while we are on about Dallas. I just came across this on NFL.com. It's the play that coined the term "Hail Mary" but watch the security guard at 1:40 on.
    Absolute quality.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d815c6627/NFL-Films-Presents-Hail-Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The Cowboys did well this year but the East wasnt the strong division it was a few years ago. The Redskins are....well they're still Dan Synders Redskins! The Giants were pathetic this season with no pass rushing and bad rushing, both units were living off past reputations this season. The Eagles, as a fan I'm excited for the future but we were inconsitant this year.

As it was the Cowboys finished the season strong and were very impressive in the Wild Card game but the same issues that needed addressing over the last few years still need addressing for them. Wade Philips is a good coach but he is not the man to lead the Cowboys. He's a good coach but they need someone who the players will respect and respond to, its tough to respect the man that gave TO such a free reign for a few years. Jerry Jones is still the same as he has always been, looking to make personal decisions and play fantasy football. Jason Garett their offensive coordinator has to shoulder quite a bit of the blame for the offensive ineptitude last night. Jason Witten is a pass catching tight end, Ive never confused with him a pass blocking one. Why was he left one on one with Jared Allen last night after Adams went out?

Tony Romo as everyone else has said looks like he could be great but he hasnt done it in the playoffs in three years and last night he looked awful. He was running away from pass rushers that werent near him and getting into bad situations numerous times. There were two occasions when Romo dropped back, saw the rush and stepped up into the pocket only to then step up again to the line of scrimmage and get tackled by the Vikes or else rush his throw.

How many times did Romo use his dump off instead of standing in the pocket and looking down field? It happened so often that I think it must have been in their gameplan for which I'd blame Garett. A few years ago he was the next big coordinator, right now he isnt doing much to inspire 'Boys fans with his playcalling. I think Jones will keep hold of Romo, who undoubtably has the potential to be a great QB and he has come out a lot of times saying how much he loves Garett but Philips isnt the coach to lead a team to the Superbowl based on his tenure and his past record(was the Eagles win his first postseason victory?)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Just a little Tidbit for the Cowboys fans to think about. Every Team that won the NFC east since 2006 has failed to make the playoff's the following year!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wade Phillips will be the Cowboys head coach next year.
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/19/cowboys-pick-up-2010-option-on-phillips/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wade Phillips will be the Cowboys head coach next year.
    http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/19/cowboys-pick-up-2010-option-on-phillips/

this i understand a bit more and was expecting

odd considering the similarities with him and the cowboys and turner and the bolts!

Advertisement