Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car: Private or Dealer

Options
  • 17-01-2010 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

When buying a car. Is there much of a difference between going through a dealer or private.
    I know about warranties etc. If going through private, what's the best way to handle the deals?
    Do people who sell cars privately set a fixed price or are they flexible?

On buying a car privately, what are the main do's and don't's?
    All advice on this be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

How much are you looking at spending?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

if your looking at a car that will have a warranty on it either way... id def go private.. I know people will say you wont have much comback in private but once the car has a warranty you shouldnt worry.. plus private sales would be cheaper.. its all down to if youd fell more comfortable buying at a dealers just because its a dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭james.xix

The car's I'm looking at are '04 to '06 bracket. Current climate forcing by hand for the time being.
    Cars that old I imagine wouldn't be covered by a warranty unless through a dealer, not that the warranty does much.
    If I buy a car private, the main thing is Proof of Purchase and log book? Is there more or is that more or less it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

james.xix wrote: »
    The car's I'm looking at are '04 to '06 bracket. Current climate forcing by hand for the time being.
    Cars that old I imagine wouldn't be covered by a warranty unless through a dealer, not that the warranty does much.
    If I buy a car private, the main thing is Proof of Purchase and log book? Is there more or is that more or less it?

You need to check there's no finance outstanding on the car if it's 04 to 06 as if there is you will lose the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

OP, may I ask whats your budget or what car youre interested in??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

These are the main legal side of things, but what about the inspections? are you going to get an AA report done on the car? How do you know if it's been crashed or if the mileage is correct,Has it got a full service history. If you buy a car that looks okay but hasn't been checked out you could end up paying out alot more than you think,The cars in that age bracket will akk be due a timing belt etc.... Remember you have no warranty but also if you buy privately and the car blows up the last owner can plead ignorance(there not qualified to know if the car is okay) wher as with a dealer if the sell you a car ,with or with out a warranty,and the engine goes they still have to cover it because they are meant to know what they are doing

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭james.xix

How can I check the financing of the car?

I don't want to get into exact figures on a budget.
    I'm looking at what I see to be reliable/dependable cars; Ford, Opel, Nissan or Toyota. I generally know what to expect from these cars.

I take it's the responsibilty of the seller to prove AA report/service history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

I'm looking at what I see to be reliable/dependable cars; Ford, Opel, Nissan or Toyota. I generally know what to expect from these cars.

No. the seller will not have an AA report done on his car why?? So he then KNOWS if there is any faults,The seller will just present the car Its up to you to decide whether it's in a sound roadworthy condition or not. As for the finance side of things it's covered in an AA report also online there are car checker sites for that too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

its up to you to make sure your happy with the car, its history, its condition and its financial state.
    you carry out the inspection and history and finance checks yourself with a little help from www.cartell.ie or www.mywheels.ie or AA, and also get somebody who knows what they are doing to physically inspect the car too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Will a dealer always offer a warranty & in today's climate how much room is there for haggling. Just say a dealer has a car advertised for 6950 euro, what would you offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 legendz

Ok, figures alright I suppose on the AA report.
    I’ve my eye on one car, I’ll check with my mates to see if they know any mechanic who’ll look at the car.

Thanks for the tip re. the history and finances etc.

It’s hard to say on dealers about warranties. Generally they do as they say they have checked the cars over before selling them on.

If a car is offered for €6950, I’d offer €6000 if I thought it’s worth it and see from there. I got my first car for about that. It was on the market for €15000 more.

If someone is selling private, do they tend to haggle or is the price they put it as low as they will go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

legendz wrote: »
    Ok, figures alright I suppose on the AA report.
    I’ve my eye on one car, I’ll check with my mates to see if they know any mechanic who’ll look at the car.

Thanks for the tip re. the history and finances etc.

It’s hard to say on dealers about warranties. Generally they do as they say they have checked the cars over before selling them on.

If a car is offered for €6950, I’d offer €6000 if I thought it’s worth it and see from there. I got my first car for about that. It was on the market for €15000 more.

If someone is selling private, do they tend to haggle or is the price they put it as low as they will go?

You can definitely haggle with a private seller. My first car was bought privately. I think he had it advertised for 7500 and we ended up shaking on 7000. I think it really depends on how many problems or possible problems you can point out on the car.

Advertisement