Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of buying an Audi A3...

Options
  • 17-01-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

I've driven VW cars (mostly Golfs) for the past 22 years. My current model is a 2008 Golf 1.4 TSI 140bhp GT sport and is probably the best of all the models I've driven over the years. I don't really like what VW have done with the new Golf in terms of styling (particularly the rear lights which look very naff). More importantly, they've delisted many of the GT Sport models from the Irish market.

So, I'm looking at buying a new Audi A3 instead. Specifically, the A3 5-door 2.0TDi 140bhp model.

A few general questions that folks out there might be interested in commenting on:

1. General thoughts on the A3 2.0 TDi?
    2. Would you recommend this over the Golf GTD?
    3. What extras are "must haves"?

Then, I'm picky about the audio side of things and will minimally upgrade the standard CD/Radio to the Audi Symphony option. A few specific questions on this:

1. Is the Symphony any good? I upgraded my Golf one to the RCD500 which has 6 speakers and a 6-CD changer. It has a good sound and I'd want the Audi system to be just as good. The RCD500 upgrade cost me 700 euro whereas the Symphony upgrade is "only" 415 euro - which makes me suspicious.

2. Is it worth getting the Bose system for the Audi (700+ euro!)? Is this INSTEAD of the Symphony option or IN ADDITION to it?

Any advice/insight much appreciated.

JB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine went to the UK last year and bought a 2.0 TDI DSG A3 S line Sportback. It was one of the nicest cars of that class that I've been in in a long time. The DSG is a must IMO, with the flappy padal gearbox. It was in Grey with 18" Audi wheels.

The very same as this but in Grey

uv_imgp1134.jpg

With the facelifted front, the sport back, that engine and the S line kit you really can't go wrong. Absolutely fantasic car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have you considered a Scirocco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

A3's and Golfs tend to share much of the same parts, including the chassis (on older models anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP, as far as I'm aware, the next Mark (version) of the A3 is due out this year. I'd imagine Chris will be able to confirm this anyway.

I'm in the market for a second hand A3 myself, but I'm not too concerned about the new mark as I will be getting a 04-06 model. If I was in the market for a 2010 model though, I would hold out an see how the new one looks/drives. That may have a dramatic impact on the current model and that would not be good for you if you invested in the next month or so.

Advertisement