Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guided By Voices

Options
  • 17-01-2010 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Anyone listen to them ?
    Whats a good album to start with ??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

great band. bee thousand or isolation drills for me. They do have a greatest hits which i'd normally not suggest but their back catalogue is huge and varies quite a lot in sound. You could start there and then get the albums which you think you'd like best after...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

bee thousand is generally regarded as their classic album. it is very good indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'm quite partial to a bit of Guided by Voices myself. Only knew a bit of their stuff until college when an ex-girlfriend put me on to them ina bigger way.

The Best Of - Human Amusement at Hourly Rates is probably a decent place to start cause, as lordgoat said, their back catalogue is pretty big. Alien Lanes is the one I'd listen to most I'd say though.

Voided by Ponces the Dublin GBV tribute band are pretty decent if you get a chance to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just watch out for the glad girls OP, they'll only want to get you high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

I just started listening to them too, god they're good.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

So much great stuff, but I think they peaked in the mid-nineties with Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Under the Bushes Under the Stars.
    After that - I'd go for Propellor and track down the Box collection (all the early albums.)

I came across this today - I knew he was a big fan but :confused::D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Soderbergh

He is developing his next directing effort, a 3-D live-action rock musical film based on Cleopatra's life, with Catherine Zeta-Jones in talks to play Cleopatra, and with music by the band Guided by Voices.[28] Soderbergh and scriptwriter Jim Greer will rewrite the lyrics of the songs to fit the story.[29] Hugh Jackman was approached to play Mark Antony but withdrew.[29][30]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Alien Lanes has the best songs, but Bee Thousand gels best as an album if that makes sense and is very much the one to get first.
    Solid band though,love the song "Hardcore UFOs".

Advertisement