Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

installing windows 7 over windows 98

Options
  • 17-01-2010 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

hi gang,
    my mate has a packard bell pc with windows 98 and is wondering if he can do a full install of windows 7 over it. any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

98?! Packard Bell?! I'd say Win 7 minimum recommended spec would be far too high for that machine by the sounds of it. Sounds like it's a tad old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Anything running Windows 98 is a dinosaur by todays standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

GrumPy wrote: »
    98?! Packard Bell?! I'd say Win 7 minimum recommended spec would be far too high for that machine by the sounds of it.

Case and point -

Minimum hardware requirements for Windows 7

32-bit
    Processor - 1 GHz 32-bit processor
    Memory (RAM) - 1 GB of RAM
    Graphics Card - DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver model 1.0 (For Aero)
    HDD free space - 16 GB of available disk space

64-bit
    Processor - 1 GHz 64-bit processor
    Memory (RAM) - 2 GB of RAM
    Graphics Card - DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver model 1.0 (For Aero)
    HDD free space - 20 GB of available disk space

If you got an 98 PC that meets those specs, I'll be impressed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A windows 7 License is far more valuable than a windows 98 PC

Unless you downgraded from XP to 98 the PC is probably too old to let 7 run , yes you could put windows 95 on a 386 with 4 MB ram, but it took 16 minutes to boot (and that was with no antivirus or other stuff running in the background)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask him to download and run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if the PC is ready for Windows 7. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1B544E90-7659-4BD9-9E51-2497C146AF15&displaylang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yup, that would certainly be a waste of a win7 license. It would be more worth your
    while buying a 2nd hand PC for €200 and putting win7 on that.

Advertisement