Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Entry without permission

Options
  • 16-01-2010 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    Quick question regarding the above. I have a fully self-contained apartment and I was wondering what legally I could do with regards to a landlord entering the apartment with their own key without my consent?

I know the PRTB (or whatever they are called) would also help in this regard, but I'm just wondering what law(s) are applicable in this scenario?

Rgds...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Your landlord absolutely cannot enter your apartment without prior notice/permission. Check out the exact legal position with www.threshold.ie under 'tenants' rights' section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi,
    Thanks - from the threshold web site:
    If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice.

As clear as mud - so it has to happen REPEATEDLY before one can even contact Threshold for "advise".

One would assume the advise would be "write a letter to the landlord and if it continues contact us again for more helpful advise"

Don't you just love this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How do you know it's your landlord? IMO, contact the Gardai about trespass, and inform the landlord that you have talked to the Gardai about it. Should get the message across.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭Tefral

Also be aware that landlords under most tenancy agreements can enter your apartment under specific conditions without your consent such as been made aware of a leak or fire or something like that..

I had terrible trouble at the start of renting the place i am currently in with concierge service and builders coming into the apartment without permission, one time they came in as the girlfriend was in the shower.

Needless to say i hit the roof and complained to the Estate agent (my landlord isnt in the country) it happened a few more times and i googled my landlord, found all her details online, rang her and she wasnt aware it was happening, after that it all stopped.

I thought to myself, "the next time someone comes in, im gonna kick the crap out of them" and say i thought they were breaking in if i was at home.

Id write to the landlord and tell them to cease coming in unannounced, outline that you will get threshold involved and send it by registered letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

the_syco wrote: »
    How do you know it's your landlord? IMO, contact the Gardai about trespass, and inform the landlord that you have talked to the Gardai about it. Should get the message across.

Well, I have internal CCTV footage from a hidden camera I planted. Yes, I have contacted the Gardai, however there's been no break-in, no robbery so the gardai aren't interested despite the footage.

It's only once it's happened (so far) and there was not any due reason other then he was checking to "ensure the premises was being maintained" (there was no mention of this clause in the contract.

This is not happening me, but a friend of mine renting in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,356 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its trespass. Write a very firm letter. Demand how the landlord intends to resolve the situation. Inform him that you propose to change the locks.* Indicate you are considering legal action.

Demand compensation if you wish.

* Legally, you need his permission to do this.

Advertisement