Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 16-01-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

hi heres a thing and i was wondering what you guys think of this!!

mattel made he-man , batman, and many other great and exspensive retro toys which today are worth a lot of money!

so on that note mattel have made the avater toys
    like star wars in 1977 avatar is new!

its changed cinama as we know it and its a fantastic film and a trilogy looks like its on the cards, with that in mind and the fact aliens and terminator retro toys are now very collectable is it not fair to say avatar in time will be major retro vintage collectable toy

i think they will be huge!!
    ok we may have to wait 15yrs or so but still its an investment worth taken i think!! so i might just start to pick them up
    already on ebay some have gone up on price from $14 to $30

i think and i stand to be corrected avatar is the new star wars of its time and the toys will reep the same rewards as the years pass buy!!

so would you agree yes or no?

cheers :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 retro child

hi jasus i think you are right, all the vintage toys today except for star wars were not films only cartoons (i.e) transformers, g,i joe, mask, he-man, so a film this big will have the kids going made which means they will rip the toys open and play with them as they should but it also means sealed items will be hard to find in the future

good thinking batman!! :-)

ok you could be dead tomorrow but if you ar not and you see 2025 and your sitting on a complete mint seal set of avatar toys well who will be smilen then! you know what you got me thinking know

**** i cant start of collecting these the wife will kill me!!!!!!!!!!! lol

cheers retro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I would disagree. For one thing everyone is thinking the same idea as you . The reason mint SW stuff is so valuable is that no one (not many anyway) ever thought of thought of it so there are fewer examples around today. If everyone is hording avatar then there will still be loads in 15 years and hense all examples will be virtually worthless. We've seen this already with Star Wars figures released in the 90's. You can keep them carded and in mint condition but they're still worth less than they would have cost to buy in the first place!

Secondly Avatar is *not* the Star Wars of it's time. It might by a technological breakthru and be making as much money but the key difference is it's not creating the emotional bond that SW did with the generation who grew up on that. I haven't heard anyone yet tell me they "loved" Avatar or that it has become something that they obsess over.

If you're looking for a well to tap then I think you'd be better off finding out what kids (boys specificially) under the age of about 10 like to play with. They're the ones making emotional attachments with their toys - and more importantly they're the ones wrecking these toys! (making mint examples all the more valuable) :)

(BTW if the answer to the last paragraph IS avatar then I stand corrected)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stone roses

bonerm wrote: »
    I would disagree. For one thing everyone is thinking the same idea as you . The reason mint SW stuff is so valuable is that no one (not many anyway) ever thought of thought of it so there are fewer examples around today. If everyone is hording avatar then there will still be loads in 15 years and hense all examples will be virtually worthless. We've seen this already with Star Wars figures released in the 90's. You can keep them carded and in mint condition but they're still worth less than they would have cost to buy in the first place!

Secondly Avatar is *not* the Star Wars of it's time. It might by a technological breakthru and be making as much money but the key difference is it's not creating the emotional bond that SW did with the generation who grew up on that. I haven't heard anyone yet tell me they "loved" Avatar or that it has become something that they obsess over.

If you're looking for a well to tap then I think you'd be better off finding out what kids (boys specificially) under the age of about 10 like to play with. They're the ones making emotional attachments with their toys - and more importantly they're the ones wrecking these toys! (making mint examples all the more valuable) :)

(BTW if the answer to the last paragraph IS avatar then I stand corrected)

hi yes you got a few good points tere!
    but in time whos to know maybe avatar will begin to create a bond between the viewer and the movie its to early to say!

also i agree with you on the point of the kids being the judges but as adults and knowing what we know! is it not an advantage to assume we can predict that these toys will become collectables in the future!

the 90s star wars toys did not do well because they were only repacks of the original and buy the 90s vintage star wars 77-84 were already well under way to becoming serious collectables, so the new star wars toys bore no interest on real collectors!

anyway all points taken and thanks for reply
    im still on the collect them side %80-20 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

is it not an advantage to assume we can predict that these toys will become collectables in the future!
    Sure you can predict it if you like. I just don't see it happening for Avatar. In fact the big nostalgia seller 15 years down the line might not even be a toy. It could be 1st edition hardback harry potter books for all we know. When it comes to profiting off nostalgia I don't think it's as simple as merely copying previous trends right down to the letter.
    the 90s star wars toys did not do well because they were only repacks of the original
    No they weren't repacks. The's 90s toys were original redesigns of the characters. Superior in every way to the original toys and very popular among collectors. The problem was most of the people buying them were adults (the now grown-up fans of the original toys) and mostly with the idea to horde them away and make a profit 15 years down the line. It didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Avatar toys also don't actually look very good.

Are they even selling well? I'm sure I've seen them already marked as 2 for the price of 1 in Smyths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

The Avatar toys also don't actually look very good.

Are they even selling well? I'm sure I've seen them already marked as 2 for the price of 1 in Smyths.

Smyths here I come then, see you all in 20 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Be sure to pick up lots of the awesome wheelchair guy action figures... he's bound to be a big seller with the kids.

Advertisement