Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zafira - where does all the oil go ?

Options
  • 16-01-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

We've noticed that our 03 Zafira seems to drink oil. I'm not the best at checking these things regularly, but every so often I know it's time to fill it up when the engine makes 'that funny noise' again.

It's not leaking because there's no stain on the driveway - at least I think so, I presume they haven't worked out how to add some anti-driveway-stain stuff to it these days.

It doesn't appear to be coming out the back in one of those nasty smelling and smokey exhausts.

I don't know where it's going but I do know that it's run dry two or three times over the last year and we must have put in 4-6 litres. Surely this isn't normal . . . our Laguna didn't need a drop of oil from the day we got it to the day we sold it 18 months later. It was only when I was showing it to a bloke who was interested in buying it that I realised I hadn't had to lift the bonnet in the entire time we had it, so I know we didn't change the oil.

Can anyone explain what's happening with the Zafiras oil, and more importantly what I can do to stop it happening ? Oh, and why the oil light's not coming on - it runs bone dry.

z

Comments

You have to put 4 to 6 litre of oil in at once and this is between services ? When was the last time it was serviced ? How shortly afterwards did you have to put in litres of oil ?

I'd start checking the oil weekly and top up as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Just came across this set ofposts which sounds very familiar . . .

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/showthread.php?64760-Excessive-oil-consumption-on-Zafira

z

It's serviced 'regularly' - the wife has it down with the garage at least once a year. The 4-6 litres wasn't at once, but over the course of about 2 or 3 refills in the last year. One time the garage only had a single litre so that's all we put in, the other times we have put in 'some' from a 5 litre bottle that we bought and kept going till the dipstick showed full.

We know when there's a problem because the noise from the engine changes and when we check the dipstick it's as dry as a very dry thing.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

over the years I have driven large mileage in zafiras and noticed all that the poster said, the engine note, on tickover, often told me to check the oil. several times i had
    to add a litre.

I recently bought a magazine about different cars and under zafira, it stated that earlier engines used oil but since the Fiat engine was fitted the problem stopped.

re where the oil goes, i dont know because they did not show much smoke from the exhaust.

Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any blue smoke?

• Advertisement

If it's not leaking 'tis being burnt I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It would be better to check it regularly if you know it drinks oil, rather than waiting for the engine to make a funny noise !

Agreed, it's due in for a service very shortly and we'll get they guys to give us a good explanation (a problem or a design 'feature'). After that I *promise* I'll check the oil a whole lot more regularly.

z

Advertisement