Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

lights on 2000 opel astra staying on

Options
  • 16-01-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all have a problem with a friends car,
    she just got to our house having driven from Galway with her Full headlights on,

they wont go off!

the lights are staying on even with the dipped on,

I did notice the time on the clock had reset itself to 1997 so presume its an electrical fault somewhere..

I looked under the bonnet and found some fuses so removed them one by one until the lights went off.
    Anyone got any pointers as to any easy fixes ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

John mac wrote: »
    Hi all have a problem with a friends car,
    she just got to our house having driven from Galway with her Full headlights on,

they wont go off!

the lights are staying on even with the dipped on,

I did notice the time on the clock had reset itself to 1997 so presume its an electrical fault somewhere..

I looked under the bonnet and found some fuses so removed them one by one until the lights went off.
    Anyone got any pointers as to any easy fixes ?

Has she driven though any floods lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭thebull09

A friend of mine had a problem with a 2000 astra where it would not turn of , he'd take the key out and it was still running, as crazy as it seem he was charging a modle airoplane battery threw his fag lighter , so see if she has anything pluged in and if so take it out and check its a wild shot but it may work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

It could be the indicator switch.
    It would be common enough for them to fail and cause the full beams to stay on.

Otherwise it could just be a relay.
    They are located behind the pocket under the steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Confab wrote: »
    Has she driven though any floods lately?

not in the last day or so , (Large potholes though :D )
    A friend of mine had a problem with a 2000 astra where it would not turn of , he'd take the key out and it was still running, as crazy as it seem he was charging a modle airoplane battery threw his fag lighter , so see if she has anything pluged in and if so take it out and check its a wild shot but it may work.

Nope nothing charging or plugged in .

I
    t could be the indicator switch.
    It would be common enough for them to fail and cause the full beams to stay on.

Otherwise it could just be a relay.
    They are located behind the pocket under the steering wheel.

Thanks, I will have a look in the morning as its lashing rain here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭blacktalons

try disconnecting the battery (both cables) for 15-20 minutes, it will reset the ecu and clear any fault codes.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement