Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Lady looking for a bed 3 nights one week 4 the next etc.

Options
  • 16-01-2010 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Probably a long shot but we live in the midlands (North Tipp) and last April my GF was made redundant. She is a Dental Nurse and couldn't get any job near home and eventually got one in Tallaght.

The only problem was the driving and as she works shifts (some mornings starts at 7.30 am and other days starts at 1.30 pm) a work collegue suggested she could sleep at hers when she was doing a late and an early the next day.

This has worked out great except a problem has arose....my GF's was staying in a room a family member used to use but had moved to London but is now moving back to Tallaght.

So I just want to throw it out there if someone could let her stay on a couch even....it'll be 3 nights one week and 4 the next so on. She will just sleep there....no feeding/washing etc and will use her own sleeping bag, pillows if that makes it any easier.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as the long drives will take its toll on her and no jobs in our area she can apply for!

Also my GF is a non-smoker!

Comments

Out of interest. Are you looking to pay for accommodation? it's just that I get the impression you're not.

If you are, a girl in work just said on Friday that she is thinking of renting out a room in her apartment for extra cash so I could pass your details on. She lives near Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TBH I doubt anyone would want that suitation unless the full price of a room was being paid. In fairness, your GF could pick up a room in most places for 350 - 400 p.m. I don't think that's a lot. I live in Ranalagh and pay 460p.m (plus I have parking). I'd say in Tallaght you could do a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

A quick search on DAFT showed about 50 rooms to rent in Tallaght for under €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Isn't it not a bit risky advertising that on the internet??

There is no way in hell my fiance would ask internet people for a room for me! How dodgy could that turn out to be! Seriously check daft man.

She Devil wrote: »

There is no way in hell my fiance would ask internet people for a room for me! How dodgy could that turn out to be! Seriously check daft man.

Isn't it the same as answering an add on daft though? There could be any psychos on there advertising their rooms!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Out of interest. Are you looking to pay for accommodation? it's just that I get the impression you're not.

If you are, a girl in work just said on Friday that she is thinking of renting out a room in her apartment for extra cash so I could pass your details on. She lives near Tallaght.

Ya we would pay per night. We rent in Tipp so can't afford to rent full time in Dublin also but would be willing to pay something per night or come to some agreement with anyone willing! I can PM my email if you want....though its only going to be on average 3 nights per week she wants to stay in Dublin.
    She Devil wrote: »

We BOTH would go to anyone willing to let her stay to view the place. We'd hardly accept an offer without checking it out. I don't think daft would be any safer TBH. I don't see how its risky :confused: as this is the accommodation section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hi,

Probably a long shot but we live in the midlands (North Tipp) and last April my GF was made redundant. She is a Dental Nurse and couldn't get any job near home and eventually got one in Tallaght.

The only problem was the driving and as she works shifts (some mornings starts at 7.30 am and other days starts at 1.30 pm) a work collegue suggested she could sleep at hers when she was doing a late and an early the next day.

This has worked out great except a problem has arose....my GF's was staying in a room a family member used to use but had moved to London but is now moving back to Tallaght.

So I just want to throw it out there if someone could let her stay on a couch even....it'll be 3 nights one week and 4 the next so on. She will just sleep there....no feeding/washing etc and will use her own sleeping bag, pillows if that makes it any easier.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as the long drives will take its toll on her and no jobs in our area she can apply for!

Also my GF is a non-smoker!

Would she not strike a deal with a B&B. There were a few contractors in our office (until they were all let go) who worked 3 day weeks in Dublin and lived in the UK. It worked out cheaper than renting a room for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

A B&B would cost more than renting a room TBH. I doubt any B&B would provide a bed for less than 40eur per night. For 14 nights that would cost 560eur. And then you have the uncertainty of it all.

Seriously, there are very few who would tolerate a person renting a room on a per night basis. I know I wouldn't.

Long term I think you both should consider moving closer to Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Just a point to consider, anyone in the house needs to feel secure as well and someone breezing in and out on that basis wouldnt wash with most tennents.

There are such cheap rooms out there atm that the 300 plus bills odd a month would be cheaper than B&Bing it.

In the short term, have ye friends up here that you could ask? I have a room free, but having someone in and out would be slightly disconcerting. However, if it takes you out of a bind, I would offfer short term till I fill the rooom.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will need to consider giving someone something more solid than renting per night. People aren't willing to let here homes be used as hotels.

It might be a bit more practical to arrange something like "I want to stay Monday night to Thursday night. I will pay per week in advance, with a deposit and let you know a week in advance if there are any changes."

This may suit some people who want a little extra income, but have their homes to themselves at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Many thanks for your suggestions. I could try a B&B and see how that goes.

It won't be weekends only week nights and she gets her monthly rota at the beginning of every month so she'll know in advance what nights it'll be.

Unfortunately we don't know anyone living in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

Actually, my cousin used to do this with someone who used to spend a few nights a week in Dublin.....likewise, only mid week. He had no real interest in having anyone there at weekends so it was ideal for him. He charged about just over half the normal rent (to cover the small extra in heating and light, but they were generally there at the same time so there was very little difference).

It ment he had someone to chat to on quiet weeknight, but didn't have to ask permission to have a party at the weekend. The other guy did all his washing at home.

I could see this suiting someone who could do with a few extra bob without having to fully share their house. Renting out a room is regularly suggested as a way to make some extra money as you don't pay tax on the first €10k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I think the most you can hope for is a Mon-Fri agreement, with an owner occupier who wants 'their' place to themselves at the weekend. I always used to see those advertised on Daft and wonder who would want a place they had to leave every weekend but it sounds perfect for your gf. Some people renting out rooms may be willing to reduce the rent if the tenant was only there Monday to Thursday or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

(Can I name the Hotels?)
    There's a large well known hotel in Tallaght offering a room only rate for €40 a night. I'd guess that if you contacted them, you could bargain them down. Especially as it's 3/4 nights a week.
    Also another hotel in Ballsbridge were offering room only at €20.10 a night - not sure if that promotion is still running though.

Just an update....

My girlfriend got sorted so I just want to say thanks to the three or four people who offered to help, much appreciated!

Thread can be locked now......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement