Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Maintenance question - water pump

Options
  • 16-01-2010 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi lads,
    I have a 2004 Daewoo (Chevrolet) Lacetti, with about 30,000 miles on the clock.

Its due for a timing belt change, and the mechanic is suggesting that I also get the water pump changed while he's in there. It would be an extra hundred quid, so I'd rather avoid it if I can.

I know that it is a vital part of the engine, and it would be a disaster if it failed. However does it really need to be changed after only 6 years and 30k? I thought water pumps would last up to 100k before needing a change.

Does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Because changing the water pump requires removing the timing belt,they are usually done together to save having to remove the timing belt again later.
    That said, how reliable are Daewoo water pumps?

30,000 miles in 4 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'd change it and be done with it. Preventative maintenance is the way to go with such items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

Either change it with the timing belt or don't waste the money getting the belt done!!!! Belt rarely snap,more often belts break.
    The reason they break is because something in the drive line "gives". Usually a idler bearing seizes or a tensioner collapses. or a water pump gives up the ghost. all of which cause the belt to :jump,slip,break etc...end result a wrecked engine

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Prevention is always better than cure so get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

Isnt 30k not very early to change?

My renault book said 70k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

There is also a time frame to get a belt done, not just mileage. My car is every 40k miles or 4 years, whichever comes sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 marchantnick

Thanks for the responses lads.

I bought the car in Nov 2008, and at the time it was 4 years old and had 18,000 - it had been used as an occasional run-around by one owner. I've since put about 15,000 on it in about 18 months.

I've been advised that the timing belt is due a change due to age, as the rubber may have started to perish. He suggested that the low mileage on the car may not have helped due to inactivity.

I've no problem with changing the timing belt, and he's also quoted for the tensioner, idler pulley, v-belts and seals. He suggested that the water pump should be changed, but it seems a bit soon for it to be done, and if possible I'd rather wait until the next timing belt is due (I expect in 2/3 years). What do you think, is he giving me good advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭beachlife

yes.The correct way is to replace the waterpump aswell(this is the oem way to do it) I would presume that the extra 100 euro would include the new coolant and pump and would get him to put a new thermostat in aswell(probably 10 euro)That way you have a protected cooling system for the next 4/5 years and the belt is also fully sorted for the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Spend the extra money now on the waterpump, because if it goes later on it will cost more than €100 to fix.

Advertisement