Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai or Kia?

Options
  • 16-01-2010 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Trying to take advantage of the scrappage deal and was going to get either a Hyundai i 20 or a Kia Rio. Do about 500miles a week. Don't really need a lot of space but want sth bigger than my current small but lovely sceicento:). Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The i20 is miles more modern than the Rio. it also has a 5 star NCAP rating. Warranty on the Rio is 7 years, it's 3 years on the Hyundai. I doubt you'd want to keep a Rio for 7 years though

Good diesel option on the Rio, but the 1.2 petrol in the i20 is good on juice too but not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Yes I'd go with the i20 myself too. Might be worth looking at other manufacturers too, plenty of good cars out there at decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

wexgirl10 wrote: »
    Trying to take advantage of the scrappage deal and was going to get either a Hyundai i 20 or a Kia Rio. Do about 500miles a week. Don't really need a lot of space but want sth bigger than my current small but lovely sceicento:). Any advice?

if u love your seicento then consider another fiat? the panda is a lovely little motor and cheap as chips! rates very highly in terms of reliability as well. the 500 is also one to consider.

of the two u suggested i'd go for the i20. don't know much about either so i would just be basing it on looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

i20 is more modern. New Rio due soon enough too. I'd look at a fiat. 5 year warranty on them too afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiat warranty is 4 years.

Panda good value at €6999 for 1.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

we have a kia pro'ceed and the father in law has the i20...so ive driven both and can compare fairly...kia's interior is far nicer in my opinion,very strong orange instrument lights(you can turn them down)lovely driving position..1.6td very quick and economical too..suspension a little harsh for back seat passengers..7 YEAR WARRANTY..swung our decision any car brand that can offer that says they are very confident of the car..style wise kia again wins ..lots of second looks...the i20 has a blue instrument light which is hard on the eyes at night,again can be turned down..it doesnt seem as spacious as the kia either especially in the back and boot isnt as big either..overall there issnt much between the but the kia would get the vote for me as the 7 yr warranty given is just too good to turn down
    a friend of mine has a kia rio....just doesnt do it for me...when car are parked next to each other the pro'ceed is just light yrs ahead
    hope this helps
    any other questions just ask

correction its the i30 the father in law has

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

500 miles a week will take it's toll on a car the size of the i20 or Rio and the driver. They are mostly city cars. At that mileage I would be looking for something with comfort and economy as a priority. I would be aiming for at least something like the i30 or Cee'd in size as they are more spacious and refined.

++1 and i can vouch for both...i drove the kia to kerry and back from wicklow in one day and it was grand...slightly stiff right foot though as accelerator pedal quite high up from the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Panda good value at €6999 for 1.1

now we're talking cheap motoring...well done FIAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

How about a Clio? Should be that bit more comfortable than any car mentioned yet. I agree with others though that the Panda at €6,999 is superb value for money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wexgirl10

Thanks guys for all the tips...will keep looking and try and make my mind up

Advertisement