Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student loan eligibility for UK

Options
  • 16-01-2010 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am applying for a higher education course in Belfast and the UK.

I have been looking at the UK government's Student Loans Company website and it says that if you worked outside the EU/Switzerland for more than 6 months (which I did), you may not be eligible for one of their loans.

Surely they can't just rule people out because of that? What about all the students that go off on gap years?

Does anyone know anyone from Ireland that got a loan with them despite a year away in Australia/USA/Canada/wherever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Hmmmm, I'm intrigued.

Where did you see this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hmmmm, I'm intrigued.

Where did you see this information?

Please read the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Wanted a link, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭poolsupporter

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have been looking at the UK government's Student Loans Company website and it says that if you worked outside the EU/Switzerland for more than 6 months (which I did), you may not be eligible for one of their loans.

Surely they can't just rule people out because of that? What about all the students that go off on gap years?

Does anyone know anyone from Ireland that got a loan with them despite a year away in Australia/USA/Canada/wherever?
    hmm as a student myself wanting to go on to higher education in the UK i have never heard of this.. i myself have checked out the possibiltiy of loans/bursaries, etc... and have never come across this. either way i would suggest you speak to a career guidance counsellor if you are already a student. apart from this, i would suggest joining a credit union as soon as ye can because they give student loans at a much better interest rate than their standard loans. also, dont worry about them asking how you will pay it back while you are away- if you are serious about your studies and your family trust you or anyone else for that matter they will be able to go guarantor for you. also, you can contact the colleges directly by their e-mail addresses or phone numbers, they are pretty helpful and will fill you in on all the possibilities. hope this helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Magenta wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Unless you've already told them they will probably not ask you/check up on where you've been. Just say you've been living at home, there's no real way they can prove you haven't been in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

irish_goat wrote: »
    Unless you've already told them they will probably not ask you/check up on where you've been. Just say you've been living at home, there's no real way they can prove you haven't been in Ireland.

Well it asks if you have been resident in the EEA for the past 3 years... I am an Irish resident, I just wasn't actually living here. My parents were still here, as was my bank account and I was still receiving post here every week.

Advertisement