Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ping Test Software

Options
  • 15-01-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any ping software that I can setup and log all pings so I can check for ping loss over a 24 hrs period. I would like this to log to a csv or test file

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

tech wrote: »
    Does anyone know any ping software that I can setup and log all pings so I can check for ping loss over a 24 hrs period. I would like this to log to a csv or test file

Thanks

A quick Google search brings up loads of free ping software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

Hi Vanbuis, I have found a few bit non of them are free that will log for me! can you point 1 out please

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

You don't need software. First open the command prompt, I'm assuming you use Windows:

Win XP - Start menu >> Run >> cmd + Enter

Win Vista/7 - Start menu >> All Programs >> Accessories >> Command Prompt

Input:
    ping -t 192.168.1.254

Press Enter.

That will turn the regular 4 packet ping into an infinite loop. I believe Ctrl+C will halt the process and I think give you statistics.

I suggest you confirm this is what you are looking for before leaving it to run for 24 hours.

I know I can do this, but Id like this in a text file log incase there are packet drops

Thanks

I know I can do this, but Id like this in a text file log incase there are packet drops

After you have the full output and statistics:
    > c:/filename.txt

including the >.

Beware I am unsure if cmd's scrollback will accommodate 24 hours of pings although the statistics will give you the exact number of how many dropped. I am assuming you need it in file to check the exact time of the packet loss.

Failing that I am told man script in cmd will tell you how to do it.

Sorry, no Windows box here to test.

• Advertisement

hI

ping 172.16.8.254 -t >ping.txt

this works and fills up the text file but no time stamping :( I need time stamping. darn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Just pipe the output of the ping -t command to a text file like LA3G mentioned.

e.g. ping -t 192.168.1.1 > test.txt

Leave it running for 24 hours and the output will be logged to the test.txt file for you to review.

heh beaten to it.

sorry you confussed me there! I need the time and date in the text file ?

sorry you confussed me there! I need the time and date in the text file ?

Nah I was typing my post about using ping -t 192.168.1.1 > test.txt and you replied before I posted saying exactly what I said but with the added requirement of you needing a time stamp for each ping. This I don't know how to do but I'd imagine it can be done. If I have some time later I'll look into it and post up if I find something.

ping 172.16.8.254 -t @echo %date% %time%>> test1.txt this didnt Work!!! but googling mad!!

thanks

• Advertisement

ping 172.16.8.254 -t @echo %date% %time%>> test1.txt this didnt Work!!! but googling mad!!

thanks

This is filthy but it kinda works
    :startJob
    TIME /T >> C:\work\pingData.txt
    PING 192.168.1.1 -n 1 >> C:\work\pingData.txt
    GOTO startJob

Stick it in a .cmd file and run it, you get output like this:
    00:20

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 25ms

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/how-to-process-ping-output-with-sed-12741/

If you have access to a Linux machine to do what you want you could try some trickery like the above link shows.

rmacm wrote: »
    This is filthy but it kinda works
    :startJob
    TIME /T >> C:\work\pingData.txt
    PING 192.168.1.1 -n 1 >> C:\work\pingData.txt
    GOTO startJob

Stick it in a .cmd file and run it, you get output like this:
    00:20

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 25ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 25ms

And it's not just the time it began? I cannot test where I am.

The timestamp is generated by the time /t so whatever time that executed at is what is output followed by a single ping. Time wise the commands execute very close together so if there's a ping loss over a minute it would probably capture that and give a fairly good approximation of the time.

Can't figure out how to do something like the below in Windows though. Might have a hack at it tomorrow at work if I have time.

18:00:01 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64
    18:00:02 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64

Oh I just included one section of the output in my last post it repeats like that until you press Ctrl - C to stop the job.

rmacm wrote: »
    The timestamp is generated by the time /t so whatever time that executed at is what is output followed by a single ping. Time wise the commands execute very close together so if there's a ping loss over a minute it would probably capture that and give a fairly good approximation of the time.

Can't figure out how to do something like the below in Windows though. Might have a hack at it tomorrow at work if I have time.

18:00:01 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64
    18:00:02 Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=64

Oh I just included one section of the output in my last post it repeats like that until you press Ctrl - C to stop the job.

Good work, I am sure the OP will be pleased :)

OP, why do you need this anyway?

Advertisement