Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag team mma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Some people just take the piss out of this sport.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/1/15/1253275/tag-team-mma-at-the-7-20-min-mark

Its idiot promoters like this that gives the sport a bad name.

Ah well, thats my next plan in the bin then!!! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

BADFORTHESPORT:rolleyes:

It is far from a new idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hasnt an org in China been doing this for a good while now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Every sport has people trying to milk it for every penny.

It was obviously thought up by someone who has no knowledge of the sport or knowledge of the skill needed to participate in MMA

Next thing the ref will be knocked out be the ring girl and the promoter will run in for the pin

Anakin.S wrote: »

It was obviously thought up by someone who has no knowledge of the sport or knowledge of the skill needed to participate in MMA

Why obviously?

Would you say that about Grand Prixs too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Sorry I just think the idea of a serious combative sport having 'Tag Team' is detrimental to the sport, MMA has enough critics without 2 on 1 fights, even if it is only for 5 seconds in between ‘Tags’

Are there any other combative sports that have ‘Tag Team’ fighting?

My point was really that every fight should be 1 on 1

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgHlc8z98LI&feature=channel

This stuff is even more stupid. Apparently Art Davie, co founder of the UFC, is the genius behind this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thechampishere

yea its not a new thing, you can see it every sat nite in any town in ireland :D but the tag seems to last a lot longer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That is the saddest thing I have seen in a while. Tag Team MMA, where you get to have a 2 on 1 for 5 - 10 seconds between tags. **** off back to your pro wrasslin.

MMA has problems with the main stream public excepting it at the moment. I do kind of care how the general public see the sport.

IMO people who want to see two lads fight one lad are sad individuals. No matter how long its for.

Anakin.S wrote: »
    Sorry I just think the idea of a serious combative sport having 'Tag Team' is detrimental to the sport, MMA has enough critics without 2 on 1 fights, even if it is only for 5 seconds in between ‘Tags’

Are there any other combative sports that have ‘Tag Team’ fighting?

My point was really that every fight should be 1 on 1

You didnt answer either of my questions
    Fromvert wrote: »
    That is the saddest thing I have seen in a while. Tag Team MMA, where you get to have a 2 on 1 for 5 - 10 seconds between tags. **** off back to your pro wrasslin.

MMA has problems with the main stream public excepting it at the moment. I do kind of care how the general public see the sport.

IMO people who want to see two lads fight one lad are sad individuals. No matter how long its for.

Love this your main objection is that it is too close to Wrestling over say the safety of the fighters.

Sorry but the too much like Pro Wrestling damages the sport talking point was proven to be bulll**** last year. Being more like Pro Wrestling actually boardened it's mainstream appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

No my main problem with it is two guys fighting one. I think I mentioned two on one twice in that post but you pick up on the pro wrasslin part just because I say ****, its now the main part of my post. I only mentioned pro wrasslin because that is what tag team reminded of.

I know you love your pro wrasslin and you love to talk about its association with MMA every chance you get. I get the impression you have a chip on your shoulder about it. Every chance you get pro wrasslin and MMA are so close to being the same thing blah blah blah.

Yes I think we get now. Take it to your entertainment forum.

Fromvert wrote: »
    No my main problem with it is two guys fighting one. I think I mentioned two on one twice in that post but you pick up on the pro wrasslin part just because I say ****, its now the main part of my post. I only mentioned pro wrasslin because that is what tag team reminded of.

I know you love your pro wrasslin and you love to talk about its association with MMA every chance you get. I get the impression you have a chip on your shoulder about it. Every chance you get pro wrasslin and MMA are so close to being the same thing blah blah blah.

Yes I think we get now. Take it to your entertainment forum.

And you say I’ve a chip on my shoulder...

This isn’t about my own personal preferences just that when people use the statement of "bad for the sport" or any other derivative they never seem to have any understanding what historically has been beneficial to MMA and the sport of MMA. It is more usually based exclusively on their own personal preferences and prejudices. A bit of perspective would be nice for a change that’s all.

Not that I’m even advocating tag team MMA at all like I said it has the potential to be really dangerous as fighters could be hit by strikes they couldn’t possibly be able to defend, blindsided. To me it is just really counter intuitive to degree that it would detract from singles bouts and most importantly a commission would likely never allow it.

I never said that MMA and Pro Wrestling were close to being the same.

Your entertainment jab is mad lolz as it isn’t really a jab at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭crokester

I only watched the first few minutes but it seemed clear that the fighters who enjoyed the two on one advantage recognised the stupidity of the situation and held back somewhat from taking full advantage of it.

Bit of cope on and sportsmanship wins out, but it wont happen every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I think it looks like fun. It would be a great training excercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

ZST used to do this years back and it worked out. The fights were never taken overly serious and were generally a bit of crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

That looked really fake to me, slaps, guys looking busy on the ground but actually doing nothing, pulled kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

They where not even punching, if they where it would have been over fast..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

crokester wrote: »
    I only watched the first few minutes

The last couple of minutes are the best, 'Everyone In'! It's actually LOL funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

dlofnep wrote: »
    ZST used to do this years back and it worked out. The fights were never taken overly serious and were generally a bit of crack.

They still do them from time to time. The last one I remember hearing about was last year with two Japanese guys who had competed in the Olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

That is the most retarded thing I have seen. Its like play MMA or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Chewabacca wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgHlc8z98LI&feature=channel

This stuff is even more stupid. Apparently Art Davie, co founder of the UFC, is the genius behind this.

That may be the greatest thing ive ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

That looks like great craic. :D

Me and Ben Davis Vs anyone willing to set up at the next Tribal Warfare! Leonard, make it happen. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭TwoKingMick

Who wants to be my partner?

Tim_Murphy wrote: »

Me and Ben Davis Vs anyone willing to set up at the next Tribal Warfare! Leonard, make it happen. :cool:

You'll need matching costumes and a name for your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Who wants to be my partner?

Son of Life & The Maddog versus Sissy Boy & Rowdy.

That'd put bums on seats.

Clive wrote: »
    Son of Life & The Maddog versus Sissy Boy & Rowdy.

That'd put bums on seats.

I actually would love to see this.
    My money would be on the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

cowzerp wrote: »
    I actually would love to see this.
    My money would be on the Dubs.

When has a Dub ever beaten a Kerry person at anything? :eek: (Except, obviously, for Roddy whooping me when we fought. ;) )

Anyway, I've been doing tag team wrasslin for years, you can't beat a bit of experience. :)

When has a Dub ever beaten a Kerry person at anything? :eek: (Except, obviously, for Roddy whooping me when we fought. ;) )

Anyway, I've been doing tag team wrasslin for years, you can't beat a bit of experience. :)

It was a secret but most Dublin MMA is trained doing tag team MMA and royal rumbles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

cowzerp wrote: »
    It was a secret but most Dublin MMA is trained doing tag team MMA and royal rumbles!!

MMA Royal Rumble!!!! now there is a concept :p The problem would be with pullouts you would most likely end up with a standard one on one match!!!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

I'd go to watch that. If still no winner after 3 mins of all in I say throw a steel chair in and see what happens ...

Advertisement