Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lightweight wireless Rollout?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Might be referring to something like LWAPP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Fedule

Any benefit to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Well working on the assumption it's LWAPP or something similar then it should provide some modest benefits to IS and some benefit to the general college population.

As far as I can gather it should help IS administer the wireless aspect of the college network, thus improving coverage and making extensions that bit easier.

In addition it should slightly improve the performance of individual access points and reduce downtime of same.

There are lots of horrible white papers and RFCs on related topics but I just barely skimmed over a few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

If they bothered to use the 4 full channels available in Europe and not the default 1 6 11 setup, perhaps coverage could actually be improved. And the only service improvements that I saw with the wifi network were over the summer of 08, when they announced some upgrades or the like. They explained was to improve service reliability IIRC. And it actually did resolve all of the serious issues I was having with TCDwifi. Though I have a feeling a driver update from Intel for vista may have been the real solution.

The point is, simply making it easier to administer wouldn't count as a service improvement in and of itself. I really hope this system will clearly save them money and that they haven't been just told the benefits by a salesman...

Advertisement