Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just a quick question...

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to view some apartments tomorrow, and have €800 p/m to spend. If an apartment is advertised as €900, is it unrealistic to think i'd get it for €800? It's my first time to rent! Thanks :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Why don't you ask before you waste both your time and the landlord's time? Just say it's a bit beyond your budget, is it worth your while coming to see it.

Traditionally (and I am talking back to the 50's), the asking price in Dublin rental was the price. If you didn't want it at that price, you just left the landlord with it.

Now the situation is different. There is back and forth. This has really only happened in the last 18 months. It seems to be because there is more of a tradition of haggling and negotiating in Eastern Europe.

The trick here is r-e-s-p-e-c-t. Have some respect for the landord, his property and his time and you will get the best out of the situation. If the landlord doesn't perceive a level of respect, the truth is that they would be better off not letting the property to you, even if it means it has to sit vacant.

If you are looking for discounts (and I am not saying you shouldn't be) don't be afraid to sell yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Hi, I'm going to view some apartments tomorrow, and have €800 p/m to spend. If an apartment is advertised as €900, is it unrealistic to think i'd get it for €800? It's my first time to rent! Thanks :(

nope not unrealistic at all,tis a renters market after all now.lots of empty places,id be surprised if he didnt take the 800,maybe ya could even be a little cheekier with your offer,but in a respectful way.check how long the apartments have been advertised,the longer theyve been empty the less money the landlords making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Why don't you ask before you waste both your time and the landlord's time? Just say it's a bit beyond your budget, is it worth your while coming to see it.
    To be fair doing this may not do the OP any favours. It's quite possible that a landlord or agent will dismiss them out of hand. It makes sense for the OP to view and then make an assessment of what they're prepared to pay. Who knows, they may be prepared to pay closer to €900pm to secure the apartment once they've actually seen it.
    Now the situation is different. There is back and forth. This has really only happened in the last 18 months. It seems to be because there is more of a tradition of haggling and negotiating in Eastern Europe.
    I would have thought it would be more to do with over-supply in the rental market and significant drop in rental prices in many areas over the last 18 months. I don't think haggling for better value is specific to Eastern Europe - it's simply something that became unfashionable in Ireland in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

I'm in a similar position and I'm finding agents are saying I'll check with the landlord... And not getting back. Viewed a place for 1050 (agent was showing us a place across the road and brought the keys on the off chance). The day after viewing called agent to say the most rent I could honestly offer was 900. He claimed to have gone rent aggreed at 950(apparently the couple had offered 900 at their viewing). A week later and it's still being renewed daily on daft. Be weary about being draged into bidding wars.

If you use firefox and daft I'd suggest you download the daft addons to show the histroy of the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Where can you find that addon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 moonlightreader

Try Property Bee which is the firefox addon or the website www.irishpropertywatch.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi Op,

I rented for the first time in Nov, the apt was advertised for €1,100. The most I could afford was €1,000, I offered €900 and we agreed on €950.

Most other apts in this complex were advertised for about €1,100-€1,200. I think most landlords have inflated the price so that they have room to negotiate rather them being at their bottom line.

I think the thing is to not show that you really like a place and to offer a bit lower than your max and then calmly wait for them to get back to you. I was not as calm as I would have liked but thankfully my OH did all the talking.

Best of luck with the apt hunt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

For our current apartment, we loved it the second we saw it and told the letting agent there and then, She text us half an hour and said "if you want it have deposit in by close of business today" We ignored her text and phoned her the next day, told her we would have her deposit that day but could only afford €1000 a month. She phoned the landlord and got back to us with good news, now we see that the other apartments in our block are going up for €1000 on daft!!

there is never ever any harm in shopping around or trying to haggle at least, why pay more when you can agree less.
    My friend who is a letting agent told me that more often than not these days, landlords will put up prices a little bit incase of a haggle situation.

It is the times we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 els27

It is always worth to haggle.

I went to see some apartments in the city centre last april and there was a lovely place but I just couldn't quite afford it. Landlord then showed me another place with a more reasonable rent. I turned it down tho and told him that the place isn't quite worth the money. Next day he rang me and after some discussion we settled for 570 Euro for a one bedroom apartment. I found the rent book from the previous tennant which slipped down behind the storage heather and he actually charged him 800 a month...so not bad eh?

In the meantime prices fell even further and the lovely flat he showed me first is empty again and I will be moving in there next month cause it is now cheaper than my current rent.

There are 8 apartments in this house but at present 3 are vacant. I think this probably represents the whole housing market so for the first time the tenant has the better position.

Advertisement