Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tower of Babel

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Yahweh said "Now nothing they plan to do will be beyond them"

Whats the problem with that, I would have thought that would be just fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

MooseJam wrote: »
    Yahweh said "Now nothing they plan to do will be beyond them"

Whats the problem with that, I would have thought that would be just fine.

Can you elaborate your point please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Our plans are often evil, stupid, selfish and harmful to ourselves, others and the planet. That would be the problem I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Can you elaborate your point please?

What is the problem with us being able to do what we plan, pretty straightforward.

as for

"Our plans are often evil, stupid, selfish and harmful to ourselves, others and the planet"

It was an impressive building which sparked it, there's nothing evil or stupid etc in a building. Also todays construction projects are a lot more impressive than anything that could be made back then, plus the number of people speaking english is greater than the world population back then, same for spanish chinese etc

It's a wonder yayweh doesn't confuse our tongues once more.

I think the point in that passage is yahweh was frightened of his creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What is the problem with us being able to do what we plan, pretty straightforward.
    As in setting off atomic bombs, wiping out other species, creating massive global warming and pretty well screwing up the planet?
    It was an impressive building which sparked it, there's nothing evil or stupid etc in a building.
    That depends on what it was to be used for. The reference to the top of the building and the heavens would indicate it was to be used for worshipping the stars, rather than God.

Also, God's purpose was for mankind to spread out, be fruitful and to replenish the earth - not to build a city and all stay in the one urban setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

The Tower of Babel was an insult to God. It was like His creation saying, "we don't want what you gave us, we want to be at your level."

Man's effort to ascend through his own power and claim he doesn't need God is basically what is wrong with the world. It's all about pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

The Tower of Babel was an insult to God. It was like His creation saying, "we don't want what you gave us, we want to be at your level."

Man's effort to ascend through his own power and claim he doesn't need God is basically what is wrong with the world. It's all about pride.
    ...a bit like modern Materialistic Evolutionism really!!!:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

as for

"Our plans are often evil, stupid, selfish and harmful to ourselves, others and the planet"

It was an impressive building which sparked it, there's nothing evil or stupid etc in a building. Also todays construction projects are a lot more impressive than anything that could be made back then, plus the number of people speaking english is greater than the world population back then, same for spanish chinese etc

It's a wonder yayweh doesn't confuse our tongues once more.

No, not frightened of them, just not willing that they should provoke another judgement like the Flood, before its time.

So God restrains evil men throughout history; only lets them get so far and then sends something to finish them without finishing all the world.

I'm sure it was His hand that led the Soviet armies to Berlin; that stopped the red button being pressed in later generations.

However, when the last member of the elect is saved, then comes the End. Then the fire will fall and all that is evil will be swept away. Then the New Heavens and New Earth will replace this present world. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

PDN wrote: »
    As in setting off atomic bombs, wiping out other species, creating massive global warming and pretty well screwing up the planet?

'Be the terror and the dread of all the animals on land and all the birds of heaven'

mission accomplished !
    That depends on what it was to be used for. The reference to the top of the building and the heavens would indicate it was to be used for worshipping the stars, rather than God.

I'd be inclined to think mentioning heavens was just an indication of how tall it was.
    Also, God's purpose was for mankind to spread out, be fruitful and to replenish the earth - not to build a city and all stay in the one urban setting.

That is a point. With regard to the first quote I'm just reading it now and it says a bit later.

'with this exception: you must not eat flesh with life, that is to say blood, in it'

jews follow this instruction but christians do not, is there any reason why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

'with this exception: you must not eat flesh with life, that is to say blood, in it'

jews follow this instruction but christians do not, is there any reason why ?
    Who says Christians don't follow that? A lot of people avoid eating meat that has blood in it.

I did when I ate meat. Now I also avoid meat, period. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

as for

There is nothing wrong with us being able to do what we plan as long as it in accordance with God's plan. For instance: As part of replenishing the earth as He commanded, don't you think that putting more effort into using less fossil fuels is a better plan than mining the the earth for more? Thus destroying the earth in mining and also in using as fuel what we mine. Our ultimate purpose is to keep warm and comfortable whereas God's command is to benefit the earth. We could have both if we put more effort into more Eco friendly technologies, but we don't, we keep warm in our houses, keep our cars on the road and make riches for huge corporations all at the expense of the earth. Does that sound like a good plan that you think God should approve of?

Also todays construction projects are a lot more impressive than anything that could be made back then,

Ehem, what??? :eek: What about the Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt? One of the largest (in terms or mass) and one of the oldest man made structures in the world? Not even with all of our technology today could we build anything to rival that structure. No building company in the world would be able to build it today, and yet primitive man was not only able to build it, but move the stones from quarries which were miles away from the site, cut them to size with tools to rival modern day optical cutting instruments, lift them (some of which weigh in excess of 70 tonnes) to heights exceeding 30 stories in places, fit them in place, and all without modern equipment and not only that but to build it on the very spot that if you draw a line through it from north to south and east to west cuts the land mass of the earth where the longest land meridian and longest land parallel meet. It has a height that just happens to be the average height of all the land mass above sea level on the earth today. A measurement only possible to take using satellite technology. My point is that it will be a very long time before that feat of engineering is even close to being matched by anything we can do with all the technological advances we enjoy today.

Frightened of his creation? How so? Assuming God exists, and assuming He gave us all our faculties and abilities to begin with, what could we ever do that He might be frightened of?

• Advertisement
Advertisement