Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas on Buy and Sell website?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I'm trying to sell my Buy and Sell website (sounds funny, I know) as I'm trying to get enough cash together to buy my first car :)

The site is http://sellmix.com

Basically what I need are some tips on the design and usability of the website. I think that the design is nice, but you guys could have different opinions. First of all, the site is built on a custom PHP/MySQL system that I programmed myself, so please don't assume that I just lumped an open source system together and stuck some shiney things on it. Secondly, I'm trying to optimise the site's layout for making money. I have Google adsense integrated into the design, as well as Amazon Affiliate links to automotive products on the cars/car parts/vans section (which I think was a good idea). The idea is to not only have a site that makes money via those who submit ads, but to make money off the people looking at those ads.

I know that there has to be some sort of fine balance between the aesthetic look of the site and it's ability to make money (i.e. I'm trying not to plaster adverts everywhere). Does anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

If you do manage to sell your site the price you get for it will be based upon its popularity, not the technology behind it.

No one is going to buy it for the script that powers it, or if they do, you won't get much more than the price of any other of the thousands of buy & sell scripts that can be bought on the internet with the same functionality - so you'd be looking at getting about €200 for it max.

I don't mean to sound harsh but based on the number of ads on the site, if you are hoping to get any sort of ROI, or to even have a hope in hell of selling it, your time needs to be spent working at increasing traffic rather than coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭waynewex

Hi, thanks for the reply. Wouldn't the fact that it turns up on the first page of Google for the search term "buy and sell ireland" and the second page of Google for "classified ads ireland" count for a little bit more than €200? I mean, I get where you're coming from, but the site is growing in popularity. I can't just decrease my price and ignore it's future promise and the recent one-way-links that I've secured. I've also spent time editing and modding classified software packages for others and I can honestly say that the majority of them aren't built with SEO in mind. For example, the majority of these off-the-shelf packages use dynamic URLs such as advert.php?id=7686328, whereas the URLs on my system are generated to look like static URLs using apache's mod_rewrite rules. Google prefers static URLs. For example, one of my categories has a URL that looks like:

http://sellmix.com/buy-and-sell-ireland/cars/1

That's a major difference from something such as category.php?id=323

I've even modded software packages that used the same meta title tag throughout the entire website.

Anyway, I've been sidetracked a bit. I have been promoting the site. I recently added it to a few more directories. I've focused on getting one-way links as Google weighs them better. The PageRank is 2 atm, and I expect (and hope) that it'll go up to 3 the next time Google updates the Page Ranks on websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

waynewex wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Wouldn't the fact that it turns up on the first page of Google for the search term "buy and sell ireland"

I wouldn't say this ads value at all. Firstly, I don't imagine that's a very competitive term, secondly its your sites exact title, so of course it's going to perform for that phrase

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    I wouldn't say this ads value at all. Firstly, I don't imagine that's a very competitive term, secondly its your sites exact title, so of course it's going to perform for that phrase

"Buy and Sell Ireland" has over 50 million results on Google?

My site is also on the second page for "Buy and Sell"

Hi, thanks for the reply. Wouldn't the fact that it turns up on the first page of Google for the search term "buy and sell ireland" and the second page of Google for "classified ads ireland" count for a little bit more than €200? I mean, I get where you're coming from, but the site is growing in popularity. I can't just decrease my price and ignore it's future promise and the recent one-way-links that I've secured. I've also spent time editing and modding classified software packages for others and I can honestly say that the majority of them aren't built with SEO in mind. For example, the majority of these off-the-shelf packages use dynamic URLs such as advert.php?id=7686328, whereas the URLs on my system are generated to look like static URLs using apache's mod_rewrite rules. Google prefers static URLs. For example, one of my categories has a URL that looks like:

http://sellmix.com/buy-and-sell-ireland/cars/1

That's a major difference from something such as category.php?id=323

I've even modded software packages that used the same meta title tag throughout the entire website.

Anyway, I've been sidetracked a bit. I have been promoting the site. I recently added it to a few more directories. I've focused on getting one-way links as Google weighs them better. The PageRank is 2 atm, and I expect (and hope) that it'll go up to 3 the next time Google updates the Page Ranks on websites.

If those rankings were of any use I'd imagine the traffic/ads on your site would reflect that. If you are beyond #4 on any SERP you're pretty much invisible, you have a 1/25 chance of being clicked at the very best - have a look at http://daily-seo-tip.blogspot.com/2009/11/clickthrough-rates-ctr-by-position-in.html (I was looking for Jakob Nielsen's research on the same subject but couldn't find it. Anyway his findings pretty much mirror that link).

Regarding semantic URLs, most scripts do have them and if not you can get any number of eager programmers on Elance to do that for you quite cheaply. I wouldn't dwell on PageRank, Google have removed it from Webmaster tools and they have all but said they are getting rid of it completely.

If, as you say, your site is growing in popularity the best thing you can do is hold onto it and work at making it more popular.

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    If those rankings were of any use I'd imagine the traffic/ads on your site would reflect that. If you are beyond #4 on any SERP you're pretty much invisible, you have a 1/25 chance of being clicked at the very best - have a look at http://daily-seo-tip.blogspot.com/2009/11/clickthrough-rates-ctr-by-position-in.html (I was looking for Jakob Nielsen's research on the same subject but couldn't find it. Anyway his findings pretty much mirror that link).

Regarding semantic URLs, most scripts do have them and if not you can get any number of eager programmers on Elance to do that for you quite cheaply. I wouldn't dwell on PageRank, Google have removed it from Webmaster tools and they have all but said they are getting rid of it completely.

If, as you say, your site is growing in popularity the best thing you can do is hold onto it and work at making it more popular.

Google won't remove the importance of PageRank because they would have to no other way to determine what sites are popular. Well, not unless they figure out how to transcend HTTP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

'Buy and sell' is the term you need to rank for. Buyandsell, add, and donedeal are the top sites for that and it shows in the volume of ads they have. Your site is only worth a couple hundred euro at best at the moment.

Google won't remove the importance of PageRank because they would have to no other way to determine what sites are popular. Well, not unless they figure out how to transcend HTTP.

OK, now that's just mad talk.

OK, now that's just mad talk.

Tell me. How else will Google determine which websites are popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

why sell it?
    why not stick with it? build it up, try and increase the traffic and then you might start to see some revenue!

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    why sell it?
    why not stick with it? build it up, try and increase the traffic and then you might start to see some revenue!

If I don't sell it, of course that's what I'll do. Even as we speak I'm promoting it and getting my link out there. I'm not sitting around waiting for somebody to buy. I'm just in need of a quick cash injection that doesn't involve me getting a loan. I suppose that if I don't sell and the site ups in popularity, I'll be happy I didn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Well I wouldn't go buying anything off the site in it's current form.

You obviously have a decent back end behind it and your SEO rankings are a plus but the site looks extremely amateurish to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hi, thanks for the reply. Wouldn't the fact that it turns up on the first page of Google for the search term "buy and sell ireland" and the second page of Google for "classified ads ireland" count for a little bit more than €200?
    Life isn't fair unfortunately. A site is really only worth the traffic it generates. You could have the most advanced site in the world but if nobody went to it it's not worth much.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Life isn't fair unfortunately. A site is really only worth the traffic it generates. You could have the most advanced site in the world but if nobody went to it it's not worth much.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

How so?

Because your technology is easily copied. There are loads of scripts and off the shelf packages that are probably better than yours?

I could set up a buy and sell website in a day.... doesnt mean its worth 2k.

Because your technology is easily copied. There are loads of scripts and off the shelf packages that are probably better than yours?

I could set up a buy and sell website in a day.... doesnt mean its worth 2k.

I spent weeks designing the look and layout. I spent weeks programming it to be simple to use (i.e. no signup is needed to post an ad) and specifically good in regards to SEO. I made sure that it's not bloated (like so many off-the-shelf packages). I spent months promoting the website to get it up to a PageRank of 2 (I'm half expecting it to get to a PR of 3 in the next month or so). It's building in traffic, slowly but surely. And I'm told that my asking price of €1000 is too much? Well in all fairness, that's a load of bollocks. If a client asked you to create a Buy and Sell website for them, would you do it for anything less than €1000? I'm not expecting to sell to somebody who just randomly chooses that they want to buy a Buy and Sell website. I'm expecting to sell to somebody who has been thinking about setting up one themselves (these people do exist).

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't go buying anything off the site in it's current form.

You obviously have a decent back end behind it and your SEO rankings are a plus but the site looks extremely amateurish to me.

I've seen some of the website's you've done and besides your actual portfolio website (which looks very nice), nothing screams "I have the right to decide what looks amateurish" at me. Which basically just goes to show how design is a matter of personal opinion.

I've seen some of the website's you've done and besides your actual portfolio website (which looks very nice), nothing screams "I have the right to decide what looks amateurish" at me. Which basically just goes to show how design is a matter of personal opinion.

If you're unable to accept criticism without resorting to a tit-for-tat argument you probably shouldn't be asking for feedback.

If your script is as good as you say package it and sell it to others, because no one is going to pay the price you seem to think your site is worth.

If you're unable to accept criticism without resorting to a tit-for-tat argument you probably shouldn't be asking for feedback.

If your script is as good as you say package it and sell it to others, because no one is going to pay the price you seem to think your site is worth.

The domain name, design, hosting, the system itself and its PR. Easily €1000. If a client asked you to build them a buy and sell website, you wouldn't charge less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

What did you want to achieve from this thread? Did you want everyone to tell you "it's great" and "ooohhh I'd pay €5000 for it"?

I agree with you that if you find the right person looking for such a classifieds site you could get €1000+. But I have to agree with others on the design and I cannot see what this site does that's different from all the others on the market, granted I haven't had much time to check out all your sites features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

the only way to earn from site is to advertise first. Spend a lot of money on advertisement of your portal and then you can reap rewards. Your site shoud be decent enough to lock in customers (a tough job) and create state of flow!!
    Do you think your site does so.?

leom wrote: »
    the only way to earn from site is to advertise first. Spend a lot of money on advertisement of your portal and then you can reap rewards. Your site shoud be decent enough to lock in customers (a tough job) and create state of flow!!
    Do you think your site does so.?

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I think it does. It's bounce rate is about 30-40%

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I think it does. It's bounce rate is about 30-40%

Why dont you keep the site if you think its potential is really high.

Afterall why sell it for 5k for example when you believe it has potential to be worth alot.

Then you can come back and gloat and it will be accepted gladly.

Good luck man.

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Why dont you keep the site if you think its potential is really high.

Afterall why sell it for 5k for example when you believe it has potential to be worth alot.

Then you can come back and gloat and it will be accepted gladly.

Good luck man.

As I said, I'm just looking for a quick cash injection at the moment. Not really fond of taking out loans, especially when I'll have to take out one for the car insurance and tax. Oh and trust me, if I don't sell, and the site does become popular, I'll gloat to my hearts content. Haha. Thanks man.

What did you want to achieve from this thread? Did you want everyone to tell you "it's great" and "ooohhh I'd pay €5000 for it"?

I agree with you that if you find the right person looking for such a classifieds site you could get €1000+. But I have to agree with others on the design and I cannot see what this site does that's different from all the others on the market, granted I haven't had much time to check out all your sites features.

No, I didn't expect that at all. I'm in a forum section where the majority of people are designers who don't (and won't) recognise a world outside of their off-the-shelf systems. The bit that I don't understand is this: If somebody contacted you and asked you to create a Buy and Sell website for them, you wouldn't quote less than €1000.

No, I didn't expect that at all. I'm in a forum section where the majority of people are designers who don't (and won't) recognise a world outside of their off-the-shelf systems. The bit that I don't understand is this: If somebody contacted you and asked you to create a Buy and Sell website for them, you wouldn't quote less than €1000.

What in God's name are you talking about? You have no idea what technology other people use here - in well over 10 years of web work I've only ever used a CMS once for freelance work twice, everything else has been bespoke. You've got this attitude because you don't like the honest feedback you've received from people who include experienced industry professionals.

You're delusional about the value your site, it uses a script that has no value beyond any of the thousands of other script that offers the exact same functionality, in fact less so because anyone considering buying it would know there is little or no support available beyond yourself in case of any problems.

Regarding the €1000 quote - I'd buy an off-the-shelf script for €250, install it in an hour and spend another hour editing the CSS and it would most likely look better than your site, then I'd bill the site owner €500.

Don't confuse your emotional attachment to the site with any indication of its worth, it's a mediocre site at the very best, with very little traffic, the domain name has minimal worth, and whether you realise it or not a Google page rank of 2 is pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

The bit that I don't understand is this: If somebody contacted you and asked you to create a Buy and Sell website for them, you wouldn't quote less than €1000.

It's very simple. If someone asked you to build a car for them from scratch, I'm guessing someone wouldn't quote less than 500,000. Does that mean someone will pay 500,000 for a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Its harsh but most people will only base the money they are willing to pay for something based on what it has already earned or has the potential to earn.

The site looks well and functions very well but its going to take a huge amount of promotion etc to make the site sale-able.

Is it generating any income at the moment?...What type of page views or unique users has it.

A few improvements:
    When you click a county from the homepage list the ads for that county on the next page. I clicked Wexford which has two ads, then I land on a page with all of the categories but no indication of where the two ads are.

Contact Us - Get an address and phone number up there. Promote yourself as a reliable business. Few people are going to part with their cash if they dont know where its going

How does one pay for an ad..no mention of it...

Add ability to upload and display more images...One image is pointless when selling a car or something

have some sort of a link to contact buyer instead of just displaying an email address that you cant click on

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lyzardking

Hi,
    I recently purchased site and seen this thread, so I said I'd come back
    to look for some more advise if there is any. The free period ends 15th
    March and I am trying to drive as much traffic and ad's as possible.
    I am trying to integrate phone system, pay for ad's by phone option
    and was wondering if there is a choice of systems. I spoke to one yesterday and out of the minimum €3 charge they retain €1.10, and
    i'm not sure if they charge a monthly fee on top.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Myles

• Advertisement
Advertisement