Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Full version 64bit

Options
  • 15-01-2010 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows Vista Ultimate in 32 bit mode on an Intel Q6600.

My question is can I run Windows 7 64 bit on this processor and if so what is the maximum amount of RAM the 64 bit version can utilise?
    As far as I can make out it is a 64bit processor but I want to be 100% sure.

Also where is the best place to get a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate full version?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

According to Intel's specification page here, you should be able to run a 64-bit OS on your system.

As for the maximum addressable memory on a 64-bit system - assuming a perfect implementation of 64-bit address space, this Wikipedia page reckons it's 16 exbibytes (2^64 bytes, which works out as 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes). Compare that to the 32-bit limit of 4GB (2^32 bytes, which is 4,294,967,296 bytes) to get an idea.

Even a poor implementation of 64-bit computing will give you effectively unlimited RAM within the constraints of current or near-future-expected technology for heat dissipation, provision of power and general scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

TheZohan wrote: »
    Also where is the best place to get a legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate full version?

If your a student - Microsoft themselves, If you search Windows 7 student off, it willl have bring you to some education page where you can grab a cheaper copy

Else Amazon is the best place to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

DarrenMSP wrote: »
    If your a student - Microsoft themselves, If you search Windows 7 student off, it willl have bring you to some education page where you can grab a cheaper copy

Else Amazon is the best place to go!

Nah not a student unfortunately. I'll have a look at Amazon.

Thanks for everyones help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Fixed that :D
    Ask if you change your mind (by PM)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fixed that :D
    Ask if you change your mind (by PM)

I would suggest reading the charter, particularly the bit where it says "NO WAREZ". You should also ask yourself whether you would be prepared to trust the security of a pirated closed-source operating system - you've got no guarantee that it will be free of malware.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ScrubsfanChris banned for two weeks, seriously why do people think this is acceptable?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nah not a student unfortunately. I'll have a look at Amazon.

Thanks for everyones help. :)

Your best bet is to get an upgrade copy of 7 home premium. That will save you a few quid. There are a few differences between home premium and ultimate but most users wouldn't need more than home premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Home Premium x64 will only address 16GB of RAM btw. Pro and above can use up to 192GB. See here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Update:

Amazon delivered Windows 7 Ultimate to me yesterday.

I have a Dell 9200 upgraded to an Intel Q6600 that was running Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I couldn't install Windows 7 64bit after starting my computer at the home screen so I had to restart my computer, hit F12 and boot of the DVD.

Installation was a breeze and if anyone is wondering if they should upgrade from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 I would say go for it if your computer meets the system requirements.
    When I used to start up my comp running Vista I used to have to wait around 2 minutes for the programs to "catch up" after I had the home screen. With Windows 7 there are no hang-ups and no waiting around.

If you're thinking about upgrading all I can say is DO IT.

Thanks to all that helped me out on this thread.

Advertisement