Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 features

Options
  • 15-01-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I really like windows 7 it's a great step up from XP and has features that I'm only discovering now. I put my computer into hibernate yesterday and forgetting I did this I turned off the battery backup and switched it off at the wall. When I turned it back on today it still had the programs I was using open. I didn't know you could do that! I thought hibernate was the same thing as sleep and required power to the PC. That's a fantastic feature that I didn't know about.

It makes me wonder what else I'm missing out on.

The ability to resize windows just by touching the edge of the screen is very handy too.

What are some of your favourite new features? Some may not be new to Vista users though I guess.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ScumLord wrote: »
    I really like windows 7 it's a great step up from XP and has features that I'm only discovering now. I put my computer into hibernate yesterday and forgetting I did this I turned off the battery backup and switched it off at the wall. When I turned it back on today it still had the programs I was using open. I didn't know you could do that! I thought hibernate was the same thing as sleep and required power to the PC. That's a fantastic feature that I didn't know about.

Hibernation is available in XP though wasn't always as stable - it basically writes the contents of your system's active memory to disk and flags the bootup sequence to reload them when you boot up next. It's a great function alright.

In terms of Windows 7 features, I haven't found myself using that many - I like the option of the background image slideshow, even though it's utterly frivolous. The ability to define libraries containing files/folders from various locations is going to be very useful as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭DarrenMSP

• Pinning to Taskbar
    • Aero Snap
    • Desktop preview
    • Bitlocker
    • Bitlocker to go
    • Home Group (Networking made Awesome!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

DarrenMSP wrote: »
    • Pinning to Taskbar

I can't believe I forgot that, it's been the biggest change I've found (and the best) in terms of working with Windows. I actually prefer it to the Apple dock because it's easier to see whether you have an application open or not.

XP Mode for those that can use it is a great idea too, and I can see the Ink API being of actual use to me in the likes of Photoshop now (definitely not the case in Vista, or at least it wasn't the last time I tried it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Showing the amount of free space on a usb stick in my computer... It's a wonder that it took them so long to incorporate that!

Advertisement