Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time house viewing - advice needed!

Options
  • 15-01-2010 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I've arranged to view my first ever house tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has any tips of anything in particular to look out for/ask the estate agent? My boyfriend and I are thinking about maybe buying in the next year or so and are only really tentatively dipping our toes into the property market so to speak...

I would be interested to hear any advice any of you might have on the practical issues of viewing a property as we are total newbies to house viewings! We know the area very well, so are well tuned into amenities, transport etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

LEH wrote: »
    I've arranged to view my first ever house tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has any tips of anything in particular to look out for/ask the estate agent? My boyfriend and I are thinking about maybe buying in the next year or so and are only really tentatively dipping our toes into the property market so to speak...

I would be interested to hear any advice any of you might have on the practical issues of viewing a property as we are total newbies to house viewings! We know the area very well, so are well tuned into amenities, transport etc.

Thanks in advance!

If you're thinking of buying, visit these three sites first. It's a must - and an eye opener.

www.thepropertypin.com

www.irishhousehunter.com

www.irishpropertywatch.com

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Thanks for your reply :). I'm a serial lurker on the property pin and property watch but will take a look irish house hunter. I've done a fair amount of research so know what i'm looking for in terms of area, how many bedrooms, size of garden etc.

I know that if I were to get serious about a house that you'd get a surveyor in to look for structural problems/defects, but was just wondering what kind of things to ask or look for. The obvious things as far as I can see to check out are:

What kind of heating system
    Is there double glazing
    Is there an alarm/security
    Are walls supporting in terms of being able to knock walls easily
    Decorative state e.g. wallpaper carpet (not that important but good to see what you would need to change etc)
    Car parking
    Amount of light coming into rooms

Any other suggestions? My list seems pitifully short, I must be missing something!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

is the attic separated by a wall if its semi d or attached on both sides.

look for mould on walls, this should show up now in the winter. cracks in walls too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

some more variables

* what are the roads like in area (how will you get to and from in different directions)

* what schools are there (if you have or will have children)

* will it flood

* when was house build

most importantly go around and see if you can have a chat with neighbors, they most likely be happy to chat and tell you about the locality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

After viewing the house and if you're interested, you should drive around the area at different times.

For example you might think having a corner shop and offlicence next door will be realy convienant but at 9pm on Friday night it might be where the local youths with nothing else to do hang around for hours.

You won't see this when you are viewing the house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    * will it flood
    On this note, the following site is essential:

http://www.floodmaps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

You may as well ask for the energy rating as well.

Also test the sound insulation by going into a room, close the door and ask a partner to do the same in the room opposite and see if you can shout to each other. You shouldn't be able to hear more than a muffled noise.

Also check for any open planning permission nearby on the county council web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Really appreciate all your replies. Will be adding all those tips to my list. Even though I lived in the area for most of my life, I never thought to drive around at night and see what the story is in this particular estate. Great linky for the flood plains also, would have had no idea where to check this! Pleased to now say there is no flood risk in the area :D

If anyone else has any ideas, keep em coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

It really depends on the house and age.

Some newer houses have smaller furniture and show houses can be very deceptive.

Look for storage capabilities of every room and try to over look superficial things like decoration. I saw a house that had a single bed and a bedside locker but there was not more room for a wardrobe or anything else to hold your clothes. One house I saw just looked odd so when I measure the bed it was clear it was smaller than a standard bed. Bring a measuring tape and watch for small appliance in kitchens too.

Generally I would limit the questions you ask an estate agent as I wouldn't trust them anyway. Look and see what windows, heating they have for example. With heating I would switch it on and see how loud it is on a second viewing. The noise from them can actually be quite bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I would also check that the toilets flush ok and how long it takes to refill. If it's an older house, check the shower,hope it's electric.
    Make sure water doesn't come from hot feed or that water has to be heated already in order to take shower/bath.
    Would also check water pressure by running tap in kitchen and have shower/taps running in bathroom.
    Check anything water related!!!

meant to say, if it's old, you'll have to get house rewired. Aslo check for enough plug sockets in all rooms

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Might sound very trivial but we always try to work out where the Christmas tree would go!! Especially in older houses with small halls and sitting rooms it actually can be an issue, particularly as we like to have a big real tree.

Also if it's a new house, check that all the fitted wardrobe doors can open. We saw a couple of them where the wardrobe was right up to the wall that the window was on and the curtain rails mean you could only open the door about 15cm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Bring a compass! That way you'll know which orientation the house is - where you'll get sun morning/ evening....it can make a lot of difference if your kitchen faces north and is always cold and dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Some random thoughts based on experience:

Where are radiators located in the room? In a lot of Irish houses they are positioned badly so that when you try to arrange furniture, you can't optimise the space in the room.

How many electrical sockets are there in the rooms and where are they located? In my previous house, there were surprisingly few so we ended up with extension leads all over the place.

Is there an electrical box (to sit on) or other such reason for kids to congregate outside the house? I'd case the joint at various times over the course of a few weeks to check this out.

Trees on bounderies - yours or the neighbours, what about overhangs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sofia11

Is this a new build or old? Sound insulation if its semi is one thing, can you hear the neighbours radio/music/tv/children? can you find out if your neighbouring properties are owner occupied or rented, sometimes makes a difference! Lots of good advice here esp visiting it at other times, evenings and weekend nights might be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

me and my boyf are going to be viewing our first house shortly too.

this thread has been helpful. the house we will be looking at is a 3 bed terraced that is approx 50-60 years old. i know i will forget to ask half the questions i should!!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Rory1

Da GOAT wrote: »
    is the attic separated by a wall.

Is this common? Is it the case for just older houses? I would have thought it would be huge fire hazard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It's no longer allowed, but older houses might still have unpartitioned attics. Due to the fire hazard.

Bring a list and go to see as many houses as possible, even ones you're not particularly interested in. It'll give you a much better idea of what you want/would like.

Advertisement