Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for Cheap Cholesterol/Blood Tests?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hello There,

Can anyone advise a cheap (maybe free?) location for getting one's cholesteral tested?

I am looking for the full cholesteral test (i.e. a breakdown of HDL, LDL etc.,).

I had it done in the GP last time by a nurse but it was a bit expensive, and I would like to check it regularly without breaking the bank.

Thanks a lot,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

There are mobile roadside units around the place (typically outside shopping centres) that offer cholesterol testing. I don't know whether it's free, or whether the results are interpreted by a doctor.

With ongoing cholesterol testing, you should really be seeing your GP, as he/she can monitor results over many years. A single result shouldn't be acted upon out of context, and without considering other factors (such as you liver function, which is important when deciding treatment).

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

Hi Vorsprung -

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that professional monitoring of the results is recommended, but I want to build up a reliable picutre of what my cholesterol values are, apparently they can vary a bit. After I have taken a few readings over a few months, I would be back with the paperwork looking for a medical opinion on it.

Yes - I have seen those units outside shopping centres, but I don’t know how much they charge, or even how to find out where they are at any given time.

I heard that unicare pharmacies do a discounted test if you are an aviva health insurance member which I am not. I think it is 35 Euro, but I am not a member.

I tired googling, but could not turn up a cheap place in Ireland for cholesterol testing.

Do you know any other prices or locations for cholesterol testing in Ireland? Or maybe the name of the roadside testers?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Getting tested at your gp, the only charge is for the doctor's time (or practice nurse's), as the hse covers the cost of the lab testing. See if you can arrange monthly sampling with the practice nurse, and if they'll reduce the fee for it.

Advertisement