Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Fixie/Singlespeed Bike (Small sizes)

Options
  • 15-01-2010 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm maybe looking to get a cheap fixed gear or singlespeed bike to go into town on and generally get me around from place to place (I know, this is what every bike is for but you know what I mean). I also heard they can be pretty good training for you so I would probably take it out on the odd long spin too.

My main criteria is price. I'm looking for something cheap and 2nd hand (unless a very good new price is available) - a step up from what I would call a "hack" bike. Also, it has to be in a Small size equivalent to something around a 52cm traditional geometry. I had really been looking at the the Giant Bowery from 08 and 09 and like them a lot but don't like this year models. I know I cannot be fussy but the thing is they never seem to come up in the size I am looking for (if ever!) anyway so hopefully you can help me with that.

I have very little knowledge of this area of cycling so the only other one I have heard of is a Kona Paddy Wagon. Please feel free to mention others should look into. So far I've come across this and this (but have not idea of the size of the 2nd one). There are a couple of mediums floating about like this and this...do you reckon I could get away with this size at 171cm (5'7)? Probably best off to just wait until one comes up in the right size! How much did there Bowery's retail for in the shops (roughly)? Any chance there could still be some left around yet to be sold? blorg and Caroline, ye have them don't ye? How do ye find them?

Thanks in advance guys, I genuinely really appreciate your help and look forward to hearing the responses. Cheers! ;)

EDIT: I just saw there WheelWorx still have an 09 model for sale (with 08 photo) for €525...is this any good (value wise?). If they have one I might just see does my LBS still have availability of them.

Also this looks good for £225 but the website doesn't seem to work after you decide to click that yo want to buy it!

Finally, I would love it set it up something similar to this one....and two posts down from it is blorg's collection! Haha, I like your too. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I've just finished a 52cm frame build yesterday. No joke, very coincidental timing. I'll be putting a thread up about it later today, and work out a price. It'll be about 400, maybe a little under.

Damn fixed gear board appears to be hanging at the moment, so when it comes back up, you'll be able to see photos of it from start to finish.

The rear wheel is a flip-flop and is currently set up fixed with an 18t sprocket on, I also have an 18t freewheel sprocket so the bike can be converted to singlespeed if you want.

Ah yes, the board is back up now. That posting will be up soon. Here's a taster anyway of the frame with the chrome forks when I'd finished doing the primer/spray/lacquer on it.

file.php?id=229

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Nice flickerx frame there, see also frames HERE. (limited sizing now though).
    Relatively cheap componentery HERE.

Ballyhoura, here's the bike. 52cm frame. Campagnolo track cranks with a 49 tooth 1/8" chainring, and an 18 tooth 1/8" sprocket on the rear. This gear is roughly the same gear inches as a standard 42/15 fixie that you see in Dublin (i.e. its fine for getting around a flat city with some small hills). I have a 22 tooth sprocket if you ever decided you wanted to get more into the tricks or polo. Its a Raleigh Mach1 fixed wheelset, with Specialized Armadillo tyres, white KMC 1/8" chain, Wellgo pedals, toeclips and straps, Specialized saddle, drop bars with a top mounted brake lever. I'm looking for €375 for it, PM me if you want a full breakdown of the cost of the parts from the shops. I'm in the Blanchardstown/Dublin 15 area, but can deliver it into town. If you've any questions about it, just ask.

102655.jpg
    102656.jpg
    102657.jpg
    102658.jpg
    102659.jpg

• Advertisement

Ballyhoura are you interested in that fixie? If you're not its no problem, please just let me know though, I'll put a separate for sale post up about it if you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

flickerx wrote: »
    Ballyhoura are you interested in that fixie? If you're not its no problem, please just let me know though, I'll put a separate for sale post up about it if you're not.

I'm actually not too sure about it! I'm based in Limerick so would want to be pretty certain before making the trip up. Are all the bits brand new or are some used? Also, how flexible could you be with the price as it is a bit above what I was hoping to spend. Thanks in advance, I genuinely really appreciate it. Cheers! ;)

I'm actually not too sure about it! I'm based in Limerick so would want to be pretty certain before making the trip up. Are all the bits brand new or are some used? Also, how flexible could you be with the price as it is a bit above what I was hoping to spend. Thanks in advance, I genuinely really appreciate it. Cheers! ;)

Ah, I didnt realise you were in Limerick. No offence but it is a lot less hassle dealing with local potential buyers, they can come look at the bike. The wheelset, chain, b/b, saddle, seatpost, sprocket, and one or two other small components like the bar tape, brake lever etc are brand new, the rest is second hand. I'm going to stick up a separate FS post here to advertise it. Your LBS might be able to sort you out with something cheaper in your price range, e.g. those Create bikes. I've no idea about bike shops in Limerick though. All the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Nice bike flickerx.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

what height person would that suit ?

and before blorg or someone comments I know I a 52 wont fit me ...

• Advertisement

barrabus wrote: »
    what height person would that suit ?

I think from around 5'4" to 5'9".

I'm about 5'9" and I ride a 53 or a 54cm.

I have a set of riser bars as well, if people would prefer them.

Advertisement