Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will working part time go against BTEA/mature student grant/free fees?

Options
  • 15-01-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭

I am currently working part time 3 days a week and I claim a social welfare payment for the days I do not work.

I was under the impression that once I am still claiming a social wellfare payment, even a reduced casual work one, I will still be eligible for BTEA, the mature student grant, free fees and any other relevant benefits although my information may very well be dated.

Can anyone clarify whether or not this is still the case, and if so will my BTEA, mature student grant, freefees or other relevant benefits be less than if I was just claiming a social welfare payment for the 6 months prior to september?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

There has been some changes with the budget regarding BTEA AND grant's.

If your applying for college in september 2010, and your elligable for the BTEA scheme, you probably wont be entitled to the grant aswel.

as for working now, and also claiming a social welfare payment, im pretty sure it wont be a problem when applying for the BTEA scheme.

make an appointment with the facilator in your local social welfare office, and have a chat with him on what you want to do.
    He will start the application process with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thank you, I will.

Any idea who I should speak to about the grant, that is just to confirm what you've said? It would be nice to be certain.

Spoke with someone from the State Examinations Commission today who confirmed the closing date for registering as an external candidate for the Leaving Cert 2010 will be Friday January 29.

Apparently they will be taking applications online from next week when they update there website and applicants will be able to pay online by laser as late as January 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

LA3G wrote: »

Any idea who I should speak to about the grant, that is just to confirm what you've said? It would be nice to be certain.
    it is certain, its one or the other now for students coming into system in sept, myself included ! also minus 5%

BOBBY wrote: »
    it is certain, its one or the other now for students coming into system in sept, myself included ! also minus 5%

Thanks for the info but that really sucks! hmmm minus 5% for working part time you say. Both in addition to not being eligible for rent allowance because I work part time apparently making me only slightly better working while studying this really is a kick in the teeth.

Is BTEA equivalent to or more than Jobseeker's Benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

what i meant by 5% was that they are cutting the rates of "pay" ie the btea and the grant, they will be down 5% on this years payment figures, you should still be able claim rent allow on Btea, afaik !
    btea is the same as jsb
    :D

BOBBY wrote: »
    what i meant by 5% was that they are cutting the rates of "pay" ie the btea and the grant, they will be down 5% on this years payment figures, you should still be able claim rent allow on Btea, afaik !
    btea is the same as jsb
    :D

Ah I see. I don't qualify for RA as it is, I used to get a fraction of my rent but it was cut completely a few months ago.

Will have to find the words to ask the DSW "would I be better off for the next few years of studying if I quit my job 6 months before I'm due to begin". Really don't want to. In fact I do not think I can, I just would like to know if I will receive less BTEA because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 son.

Hi there, I know what you mean! I was wondering does anyone know as you apply for the BTEA scheme, once applied whether you are intitled to work part-time aswell as claiming BTEA before the academic year starts in sept? Or are you still officially on job seekers allowance scheme till then therefore only allowed to work p/t-supplementary welfare allowance? If anyone has the answers to this I'd be extremely grateful. As I'm wanting to get back into Education, have a course in line but have also been accepted for a full-time job, min wage. And realised if I can work part-time during the BTEA I am actually better off learning to the job I want, then keep doing the same dead end work I have been stuck in for the last 10 years! I have to decide by this wkend! I have been on welfare allowance since last April but by starting the job on Monday I could be jepordizing my chances of geting onto the career I want.. If anyone can help as it really means alot

Many thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

From information I have been told by the social that if you work at all during your unemployment period it will go against you if you want to take up back to education allowance.
    As far as I am aware you cannot work at all before the college year begins.
    Check with your local jobs facilitator to confirm as it does not make any sense their rules and you do not want to put yourself in jeopardy

thanks beagle001,

I really appreciate your help you've given I will be going down to see them first thing monday, but have to either take the job that evening or not, its a tough choice. I've been out of work for a year and a half now and am trying to get out of this situation once and for all but finding it so difficult to get answers. I want to work, I've tried opting for upgrading my work experience but all the feedback I am getting is that I am underqualified I can only get minimum wage jobs and I've been putting up with the situation for the last ten years, therefore I need to get back to education. So BTEA seems the option but It seems so daft all of this that I can't work P/t if I will be going onto the BTEA in september anyways!

The alternative would be to take the job and apply for the Maintenance Grant instead but I've heard how messy that can be in applying and actually recieving your payments so I guess I'm better off keeping on the Social for the BTEA? But knowing how difficult the situation is for any work at the moment I know that if I turn down this job, it really has to be for a good reason.

• Advertisement

Hey Son,
    I am in a v similar situation as yourself,looking to return to education to upskill and seek a grounded qualification.
    I would also love to work as being unemployed is driving me nuts not to mention the financial hardship.
    It is daft you are unable to work before u go to uni as a mature as they probably will not pay you BTEA or maintenance grant if your are means tested and working.
    I cannot afford to return to Uni without BTEA assistance it's the simple reality in many a situation for mature students.
    Sept will come round soon for you,if you can wait it out might be best.
    Approach jobs facilitator on Monday and het definite advice from them to confirm.
    Best of luck it is not easy out there

You're probably right in hanging out till sept although it is pretty hard when like you, you can't stand the house much longer! I've been waiting for a full-time job a year and a half and one comes up, just when you're thinking that the best option is actually to go back to education. It is hard to turn a job down in these times but as my future plans are to go back to education anyway and cos it works out the same as working on min wage I figured I don't think I'm that better off, all depends on if I can get part-time work! Think you can relate to this. Having to wait to apply for part-time work though till sept is madness! I really want to work and need a new computer for the course, which I could of saved up for if the BTEA started as you applied rather than at the starting date of the course! Its okay doing a course but what about being able to afford the resources that are needed?! Anyway just one last question, on the BTEA option, i'm assuming that means that you can't work during the summer periods during the years you do the course? for instance if the course is 3rd level? Sure will go to citizens advice and social Mon, anyways.. I genuinely appreciate all the help you've given me, thankyou and good luck with your course

Hi Son,
    In relation to your question on working during the summer,you can actually get full time employment but lose your BTEA for the 3 months and it will be reinstated again when Uni starts each September.
    Be sureyou have a course already before you reject the job,I will not know if I have a place on the course before July so it is an anxious wait to say the least.
    Remain focused and I am sure when you return to education it will definitely lift your spirits and open previously locked doors in your career search.
    Let us know how you get on,best of luck

Is BTEA more than a regular social welfare payment? I'm told UB is currently just under €200.

I know that a few years ago people who went from UB to a VTOS payment would get the UB amount and then an extra €50/€100 on top.

Also if someone reports that their BTEA is say €300 currently, will it be different for people just starting in September since their starting UB amount has now dropped to just under €200 which is different than what it would have been for people last September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

LA3G wrote: »
    Is BTEA more than a regular social welfare payment? I'm told UB is currently just under €200.

I know that a few years ago people who went from UB to a VTOS payment would get the UB amount and then an extra €50/€100 on top.

Also if someone reports that their BTEA is say €300 currently, will it be different for people just starting in September since their starting UB amount has now dropped to just under €200 which is different than what it would have been for people last September?

BTEA for a standard applicant would be the equilivant to what you would get on job seekers allowance / benefit.

€196 per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marty999

Does anyone know how many hours you can work part-time, and what is the maximum gross pay per week you can get, and still be eligible to continue with your BTEA while completing your course?

Ta!

marty999 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how many hours you can work part-time, and what is the maximum gross pay per week you can get, and still be eligible to continue with your BTEA while completing your course?

Ta!

AFAIK you need to be in receipt of a social welfare payment for 6 months prior to application, that is you can work a maximum of three days (excluding sunday as there's no social welfare paid for that day), and once claiming for the other three for 6 months prior you're eligible to apply.

I think once in receipt of BTEA you can work whenever you like, but it's something you'll need to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 deviking

can you work part-time when you are already on back to ed allow..
    and if so up to how many hours are you allowed to work before this is a problem eg 20 a week more or less
    any help would help please worried mature student who just started a part-time job

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Shout At The Devil

deviking wrote: »
    can you work part-time when you are already on back to ed allow..
    and if so up to how many hours are you allowed to work before this is a problem eg 20 a week more or less
    any help would help please worried mature student who just started a part-time job

You can work AS MANY hours as you lke on BTEA

It's not means tested, so as long as it doesn't interfere with your college attendance, you'll be fine

Advertisement