Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Excel 2007

Options
  • 15-01-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Right guys I'm doing a spreadsheet here and I want multiply cell B1 by cells B5,6,7,8,9. Now I know it can be done by typing =B1*B5 etc. but does anybody know how to write the formula so I can write =B1*B5 and then drag the box down and it multiplies them all automatically?

I used to be able to do it but now forget :P, I think something has to go around the B1 but not sure what

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm open to correction, but I think it's $B$1 * B5. Then you can drag it and it'll stay as B1 * B6 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

This is the Absolute function in Excel - you can set a cell reference as absolute, just a row or just a column. Its done by using one or two dollar signs as appropriate.

If you edit the formula and put the cursor in the middle of a cell reference, then press F4 one or more times, it will cycle through the options:
    BOTH >> ROW ONLY >> COLUMN ONLY >> NEITHER

Advertisement