Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Scholarship in the US

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to go to the U.S on a sports scholarship (golf) mainly because of the competitiveness over there and the fact because its a class country!:D
    I'm just looking for anybody's experience of this...even anybody who knew much about it.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

kingcobra wrote: »
    I'm hoping to go to the U.S on a sports scholarship (golf) mainly because of the competitiveness over there and the fact because its a class country!:D
    I'm just looking for anybody's experience of this...even anybody who knew much about it.
    Thanks

i dont know about golf scholarships, but NCAA football/basketball/baseball scholarships are usually limited to locals, i.e for NCAA football scholarships, you kinda have to be on a highschool team which does pretty well, and then scouts come in and watch you play/tape you, and then you are invited to the college to do some drills (kinda like NFL combine, pre draft), for football they make you do bench press/squat/40 yard dash/shuttle and drills like those, and then if they like you they will ask you if you want to "commit" means you will sign a contract with them to attend that college, and will refuse any further offers from other colleges, and scholarship you get basically says you will play football in the NCAA (which ever division your college is in) and a certain conference your college is in, once you are on the team, you education is paid for, unless you flunk, i.e you have to maintain a certain GPA (usually around 2.0), and basically if you get into a good football programme in division 1 your life is sorted, you will probably be scouted again in your 2nd year (by the NFL) if they like you they will invite you to the nfl combine in your 3rd year, if you do good, you can choose to drop out of college after 3rd year and play professionally if you manage to get into the NFL draft, i would assume its similar with golf and other NCAA sports

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kabuk1

I'm not sure on golf, but they do offer sports scholarships to international student, mainly for sports like soccer and rugby. I attended an NCAA Division II school and nearly out entire soccer team was from EU nations. They were all on full or partial scholarships. The first college I attended wasn't NCAA as it was a small 2-year private college. They recruited international students for both golf and tennis at the time - this was nearly 10 years ago.

I would say to consider all options, NCAA Division I & II, as well as NAIA unis. I guess it'll depend on how much it matters to you to go to a big name school.

There are 2 international students on the roster for the Golf team at my Alma Mater: http://www.uncpbraves.com/roster.asp?sportID=10

It's a Division II university in the UNC system. It's not difficult to get into, but don't let that fool you. Depending on your major, it's quite challenging. I did a degree in English, where most of the department faculty have degrees from UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke and other big unis.

Anyway, it could be a start. If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I really dont think they are that difficult to get once you are not looking at basketball or american football. A chap I went to school with got one in florida for playing football. Now he was good at football but by no means gifted or even near the level to turn professional yet he got one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

At my school we had Irish scholarship students for track/field and swimming. Most of the guys on the rugby team were Australian also.

Not too sure on how you go about being 'spotted' though.

Advertisement