Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS LAPTOP problem

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

I have a Dell XPS M1330 and the screen has vertical stripes down it and won't work. However, when it is hooked up to a monitor it works perfectly. I called Dell they said that they would send out an enginneer the next day to replace my motherboard as that was still under warranty, only to have them call the next morning to say infact it wasn't covered and it would cost over €500 to replace the motherboard. I know I could get another laptop for this but would love my own to be repaired for a resonable price. I have had people tell me that if it works with the monitor that it shouldn't be the motherboard and its just the screen that is faulty.

Any help would be great!

Cheers
    Sarah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Even if it works with a monitor attached, it might still be the graphics card. When those things fail, they don't always fail suddenly, sometimes they can semi-work for a while, or give confusing symptoms.

Questions:
    -How old is the laptop?
    -What length warranty does it have?
    -What is the graphics card (is it the integrated Intel graphics, or the Nvidia 8400M?
    -Have you a photo of the screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

This happened to a lad I work with and the problem was with the screen. If there was a problem with the motherboard that was causing the lines to appear on the display then this would happen on an external monitor too I reckon. It doesn't sound like a motherboard problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

ok if you have an xps m1330 with the nvidia 8400m graphics card then this is the problem that has plagued Dell for the last number of years.

Check your system for this graphics card

THIS IS A KNOWN DESIGN FAULT

Dell extended the warranty on the motherboard for ALL m1330 models by 1 year as an admission of the design fault.

Now even if the warranty is up and the +1 year Dell added has passed, you still have rights and a forceful conversation with Dell Tech support in which you clearly explain that you know this is a Dell design fault and that you have what they call in legal terms a "reasonable expectation" that a laptop that costs X amount should last more than 2-3years and then say you would be willing to pursue this as far as the small claims court.

This should get your laptop fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It's weird that they'd say it was covered and then change their minds like that. They've a tool which shows your warranty as either green or red, very simple to understand. Go to support.dell.com and down the left hand side of the page there should be a link called Warranty Status. Enter your service tag and confirm the warranty. Then do what Letitroll says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sarie

Hey everyone,

Thanx so much for your comments and advice! I had it hooked up to a monitor and it works perfectly, then this morning i turned it on and it worked perfectly but then died later this evening :(

Letitroll

That is great to hear and I will be calling them to say that asap!

Voodoo Child
    would the graphics card be expensive to replace?
    I got the laptop in Nov 08 and its hard drive was replaced by dell less than a year later. It's apparently out of warranty. I think its the nvidia card and sorry i have no photo of the screen. but could get one if it would help?

I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers :)
    Sarah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

its the gfx and yes they are expensive to replace.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,570 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As noted above this is could be the known fault with the xps 1330 (and loads of other laptops using the nvidia gpu).

You'll find a lot of information online, I had the same issue recently and got the motherboard replaced even though I was out of warranty (although that wasn't done properly and I had to get it done again).

Been fine since. Contact Dell explaining that you know there is a one year extended warranty for gpu failures. A lot of people have trouble at first and are told they are out of warranty. They will ask you to run various tests to confirm it is the gpu. It's possible it isn't, I believe if an external monitor is fine then it's not the gpu its the lcd itself, which won't be covered.

See here for ref:
    http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx

This is what my screen looked like.

3c6b6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

no prob let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnnaF

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sarie

Hey everyone,

Well last friday I got my dad to call Dell for me as he could at least be a bit more forceful and angry on the phone...as I may have just cried in frustration.

Anyway I got the same old story about how I had my normal warranty, the extended warranty and that had expired and basically it was tough sh1t! Until my dad went on a mad one and threatened to sue them if it wasn't fixed. They told him that the legal team would call the next day.

They called were very nice and came on monday and replaced my motherboard and graphics card. Happy Days :)

Cheers everyone...especially Letitroll and copacetic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

That's great news. Now that you have it all working, give it a couple of weeks and then call up to extend the warranty.

Advertisement