Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

already getting a grant but can I now apply as a mature student

Options
  • 14-01-2010 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

I am currently doing my masters in Queens I'm getting the grant and I did for my undergrad. I am now 23 and hope to go on to my phd and know that I can get the grant for a further 3 years to cover this, however could I now apply as a mature student. the extra money would certainly help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ive read a few times and it still isnt clear, what? needs proof reading ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

oh i'm sick of proof reading after all I'm doing now. I'm doing an MA curently for this academic year but want to do a phd for 2010-2011 academic year.

I turned 23 in October so the question is can I now apply as a mature student or will I continue to get the grant I already receive.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You won't be able to change your status to mature student as you are continuing on your education.

crinkley wrote:
    however could I now apply as a mature student. the extra money would certainly help

you dont get 'extra' money for being a mature student. it just means you are over 23 and are applying to the college on grounds of experience and related skills/qualifications and so on to the courses you want to do. So you are not assesed on points from your leaving cert.

even if its a new course?

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement

me@ucd wrote: »
    you dont get 'extra' money for being a mature student. it just means you are over 23 and are applying to the college on grounds of experience and related skills/qualifications and so on to the courses you want to do. So you are not assesed on points from your leaving cert.

oh thanks someone told me you get the top up rate if you're a mature student no point going through the hassle then just easier to send back the form and continue

thanks

crinkley wrote: »
    oh thanks someone told me you get the top up rate if you're a mature student no point going through the hassle then just easier to send back the form and continue

thanks

ahh the top up rate you never said that, yes mature students usually get it, but as larianne said you probably cant change your status now as you already in college now.
    a quick call to the grants office will give you the answer though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

If you're going on to a new course, you should get it, as you will have to reapply for the grant anyhow for a new course.

At least my brother did when he went into 4th year as it was considered a new course and he's now getting the mature rate.

Advertisement